2 rebus puzzles

If I remember correctly, an underscore denotes some convention, in your text-rebuses. If so, I've forgotten the meaning.

One of these days I'll understand what you are doing! Not!

How do you read and solve one of these??

-Dan

… How do you read and solve one of these??
The text-based puzzle is not a true rebus, of course, but the general idea is to find a matching interpretation that, when said outloud, makes sense. (Some make more sense than others, heh. That is, some are good; others, kinda goofy or a bit of a stretch.) The number of words in the solution is shown in parentheses. Answers ought to be familiar phrases, well-known names, titles, places, or other statements of common knowledge. Be flexible; sometimes, one needs to think like Yoda (i.e., transpose word order) or speak with an accent. The best ones require thinking 'outside the box'. Some actually include other elements, like a cryptic-clue type trick. A few examples follow. (And, I hope Denis reposts some of his earlier ones because many were math-oriented and clever.)

S T A N D I N G
Grace ͘ ͘͘ ͘ ͘͘͘ Grace
Grace ͘ ͘͘ ͘͘͘ Grace (3)

Here, we see four objects located below the word 'STANDING'. That can imply:

<something> under standing

The multiple 'Grace' can be interpreted as "thanks" times four, or, read outloud as "thanks four"

Answer: THANKS FOR UNDERSTANDING

c o m e u n t (3)

We interpret the word 'me' appearing inside the word 'count'

Answer: COUNT ME IN

Fin--- (3)

Hyphens indicate missing letters. This looks like the beginning of a word.

Answer: START TO FINISH

MD MD (1)

That looks like a pair of doctors, or "pair of docs". Read it outloud.

Answer: PARADOX

Give this one a try:

98765 (3)

Last edited:
Let's try "nine to five?"
You got it bueno! :D

Here's another presentation; it has the same answer. This is an example of a text-rebus that requires the solver to consider a cryptic-clue type step. Get it?

RP.png

Incomplete ballot ?
Thanks to the election-administration expertise of a couple counties in Florida, the media again has an opportunity to increase vocabulary within the general citizenry. (Remember "hanging chad"?)

Here, the technical phrase is "undervoted ballot" -- defined as a ballot that is not completely filled in (i.e., an unfinished ballot).