CodeCogs Jam Up

topsquark

Okay, I'm having the same problem on MHF. Instead of equations here all I am seeing is a bunch of icons from CodeCogs images saying "equation quota exceeded." Anyone know why this is happening?

-Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, I'm having the same problem on MHF. Instead of equations all I am seeing is a bunch of icons from CodeCogs images saying "equation quota exceeded." Anyone know why this is happening?
I don't know what's up with that error message, but I can confirm that CStudent's op at each site renders okay for me, right now.

Would it help, if I were to provide you a screen shot?

I don't know what's up with that error message, but I can confirm that CStudent's op at each site renders okay for me, right now.

Would it help, if I were to provide you a screen shot?
Please. I'm sending a message to the MHF site owner but he doesn't respond all that fast. Any help would be appreciated.

-Dan

Please. I'm sending a message to the MHF site owner but he doesn't respond all that fast. Any help would be appreciated.

-Dan

I think all of us who admin math help forums should begin banning those who don't use \(\displaystyle \LaTeX\). :eek:

I think all of us who admin math help forums should begin banning those who don't use \(\displaystyle \LaTeX\). :eek:
Here here! And it's really easy to program to boot. If they can do it on CodeCogs they can do it here.

-Dan

PS
@mmm4444bot: Thanks for posting that.

I absolutely disagree with this idea. Math students need to concentrate on math, not the peculiarites of \(\displaystyle LaTeX\). It makes no sense to say to someone asking a question about algebra, "Oh, come back after you have learned \(\displaystyle LaTeX\), and then we shall try to help."

I absolutely disagree with this idea. Math students need to concentrate on math, not the peculiarites of \(\displaystyle LaTeX\). It makes no sense to say to someone asking a question about algebra, "Oh, come back after you have learned \(\displaystyle LaTeX\), and then we shall try to help."

giphy.gif

heeheehee

I absolutely disagree with this idea. Math students need to concentrate on math, not the peculiarities of \(\displaystyle LaTeX\). It makes no sense to say to someone asking a question about algebra, "Oh, come back after you have learned \(\displaystyle LaTeX\), and then we shall try to help."
I will argue the exact opposite to the above. Even having multiple degrees in mathematical sciences, once I began using LaTeX I found the I was forced to pay closer attention to details. I was forced to be more careful with groupings, with fractions, with subscripts and superscripts. It certainly improve my programming habits.
And I think that students ought to learn to deal with peculiarities of all kinds.

Just so everything is clear, I was joking about banning people for not using \(\displaystyle \LaTeX\). We need to focus on those posting sideways images of handwritten work first. :lol:

Just so everything is clear, I was joking about banning people for not using \(\displaystyle \LaTeX\). We need to focus on those posting sideways images of handwritten work first.
Sorry but I don't understand jest in this context. But I all for banning anyone who post a sideways/upside-down image.

Yes, but if they can code an equation using CodeCogs then they can just post the code here. It's the same LaTeX format. Those are the ones I have a beef with.

-Dan

Yes, but if they can code an equation using CodeCogs then they can just post the code here. It's the same LaTeX format. Those are the ones I have a beef with.

-Dan

Yes, and then it becomes more difficult when quoting such posts because you can't just copy and edit their codes.

Just so everything is clear, I was joking about banning people for not using \(\displaystyle \LaTeX\). We need to focus on those posting sideways images of handwritten work first. :lol:
I fully agree with that and I am not joking!!

-Dan
Beeef!! That's yack! Would you want French-fries with that too (how different is that from fried French?)

I will argue the exact opposite to the above. Even having multiple degrees in mathematical sciences, once I began using LaTeX I found the I was forced to pay closer attention to details. I was forced to be more careful with groupings, with fractions, with subscripts and superscripts. It certainly improve my programming habits.
And I think that students ought to learn to deal with peculiarities of all kinds.
The typical person who asks questions here does not have multiple degrees in anything. I'd estimate that the majority of people asking questions have not graduated from high school, and virtually none have a bachelor's degree. This site in particular has a sub-forum on arithmetic. We might as well close down if we ban everyone who asks a question that is not in LaTeX.

For those who feel that those who do not know LaTeX should not be given help in mathematics, an alternative approach is for you individually to ignore all questions not properly formatted in LaTeX rather than precluding others from providing such help.

The typical person who asks questions here does not have multiple degrees in anything. I'd estimate that the majority of people asking questions have not graduated from high school, and virtually none have a bachelor's degree. This site in particular has a sub-forum on arithmetic. We might as well close down if we ban everyone who asks a question that is not in LaTeX.

For those who feel that those who do not know LaTeX should not be given help in mathematics, an alternative approach is for you individually to ignore all questions not properly formatted in LaTeX rather than precluding others from providing such help.

Jeff,

I was joking about banning those who do not use \(\displaystyle \LaTeX\) when posting math. But, I do think anyone who sticks around for any length of time and who is a conscientious poster should make an effort to learn it so that their posts are more readable.

͏

:idea: Perhaps, we ought to also ban students who fail to proofread and correct typing errors in a post. Doing so would certainly qualify as some kind of peculiarity of the forum, which students here (who desire math help) would then "ought to learn to deal with".

I will argue the exact opposite to the above. Even having multiple degrees in mathematical sciences, once I began using LaTeX I found the (sic) I was forced to pay closer attention to details. I was forced to be more careful with groupings, with fractions, with subscripts and superscripts. It certainly improve (sic) my programming habits. And I think that students ought to learn to deal with peculiarities of all kinds.

:idea: :idea: On the other hand, what would the forum look like, were we to ban anyone who makes a mistake.

Disclaimer (for those who need it): This post was written in jest. :p

Jeff,

I was joking about banning those who do not use \(\displaystyle \LaTeX\) when posting math. But, I do think anyone who sticks around for any length of time and who is a conscientious poster should make an effort to learn it so that their posts are more readable.
MarkFL,

Oh I eventually figured that out. But pka appeared to be making a serious argument.

I'd argue that someone posting numerous times about integral calculus probably should make the effort, but students at a lower level will find it tedious (to say the least) trying to manipulate new mathematical concepts while simultaneously dealing with the fussy syntax of LaTeX. I want to encourage history majors to learn some math, not drive them away.

… pka appeared to be making a serious argument …
I perceived the intent as yet another reminder from pka to the membership of his superior mathematical knowledge and experience.

… Even having multiple degrees in mathematical sciences, …

:idea: It would be easier for him, to simply replace his signature line.