Choose k so that f(x)=(2x^2-18)/(x+3), x not 3;=k, x=3 is continuous/differentiable

PM123

Is it possible to choose k so that the following function is continuous and differentiable at x = -3?
f(x) = (2x^2 - 18)/(x+3) if x does not equal to -3
k if x = -3

For continuous I'm thinking k = -12 because f(-3) must equal k and the limit as x approaches -3 is -12.

I'm having trouble with differentiable though. The derivative of f(x) is 2, and if k = 2, then the derivative of that is zero, so is it not differentiable?
Thanks.

Is it possible to choose k so that the following function is continuous and differentiable at x = -3?
f(x) = (2x^2 - 18)/(x+3) if x does not equal to -3
k if x = -3

For continuous I'm thinking k = -12 because f(-3) must equal k and the limit as x approaches -3 is -12.

I'm having trouble with differentiable though. The derivative of f(x) is 2, and if k = 2, then the derivative of that is zero, so is it not differentiable?
Thanks.
How did that come about?

What is the expression for f'(x)?

Does f'(x) depend on 'k'?

If you plot the function from say x = -5 to x =0 - what does it look like?

f(x) = (2x^2 - 18)/(x+3)
f(x) = 2(x^2-9)/(x+3)
f(x) = 2(x+3)(x-3)/(x+3)
f(x) = 2(x-3) = 2x-6
f'(x) = 2

It just asks if you can choose k so that the function is differentiable at x = -3.
Graphing the function is just a linear function.

f(x) = (2x^2 - 18)/(x+3)
f(x) = 2(x^2-9)/(x+3)
f(x) = 2(x+3)(x-3)/(x+3)
f(x) = 2(x-3) = 2x-6
f'(x) = 2

It just asks if you can choose k so that the function is differentiable at x = -3.
Graphing the function is just a linear function.
\(\displaystyle f(x)=\begin{cases}\dfrac{2x^2-18}{x+3} & x\ne-3 \\ -12 & x=-3\end{cases}\)

Yes, that's where it's continuous but is it also where it's differentiable?
Can you calculate \(\displaystyle \mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to - 3} f'(x)~?\)

Recall that in \(\displaystyle \mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to c} g(x)\) it is always the case that \(\displaystyle x\ne c\).