Working out my holiday/vacation entitlement

ennogs

[FONT=&quot]I have been tearing my hair out over this lol. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I am trying to work out my holiday (vacation) entitlement out. Can somebody please tell me if I am right? [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I get 27 days holiday plus the bank holidays (public holidays). My work year is 1st of April to 31st of March. Due to Easter moving about that means this year I get 7 days as bank holidays. In total this year I get 34 days holiday entitlement[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]If I worked full time I would do 7.5 hours per day and work 5 days per week = 37.5 hours per week. 34 holidays days x 7.5 hours a day = 255 hours holiday entitlement. If I was full time every time I take holiday day I would lose 7.5 hours/1 day from my holiday entitlement. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I don’t work full time. I do 18.45 hours per week which is half a week’s work. I don’t work 2.5 days though. I work 3 days per week and do 6.45 hours a day.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Based on that information am I correct in saying[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]This year I get 127.5 hours holiday entitlement (half of a full time worker). Every time I take a holiday day I take off 6.15 hours from my holiday entitlement[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Or should it simply be [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I get 34 days holiday entitlement. Every time I take a holiday day I just take a day off my holiday entitlement.[/FONT]

I am having a lot of trouble understanding exactly what the distinction is in your head between "holiday day" and "holiday entitlement". (That's "vacation day" for the Americans in the audience).

Some points:

- Yes, of course if you use up one holiday day, then you have one day fewer left to you in total!

- Exactly how many hours you get paid for when taking a paid day off is a question that your employer can answer for you. Perhaps you can consider consulting the Human Resources department? I would assume that they would simply pay you what you would have earned if you had gone into work on that day, but it's worth clarifying with them. It's not a math question, just a question about company policy.

Side note: The common wisdom that people work a lot less in other countries than they do in North America wasn't quite real to me before. But it is after hearing some of these numbers. I am used to a scenario (in North America) in which people accrue 1.25 hours of vacation time per month, corresponding to 15 days total a year (or 3 weeks' worth of paid vacation). Certainly nothing approaching 34 days. I don't know how many statutory holidays get added on top of the 15 days though...