Parallel Line to y = -4x + 3 through Point (0, -2): find slope, y-intercept

Yes, I found how to do it. However, the explanation isn't really telling me anything.

"To calculate the slope of a line you need only two points from that line, (x1, y1) and (x2, y2). The equation used to calculate the slope from two points is: On a graph, this can be represented as: There are three steps in calculating the slope of a straight line when you are not given its equation."
The slope is a basic idea in understanding the behavior of a function. It measures the magnitude and direction in which a function is changing.

In the case of a linear function, the slope is the same at every point along the line graphing the function. A linear function has a constant slope. If the slope is positive, the line rises from left to right. If the slope of the line is negative, the line falls from left to right. If the slope is zero, the line is parallel to the horizontal axis. If two lines have the same slope, they are parallel and will not intersect. If two lines have different slopes, they will intersect. If two lines both have positive slopes, the one with the slope of greater magnitude is rising at a steeper angle to the horizontal axis than the other. If two lines both have negative slopes, the one with the slope of greater magnitude is falling at a steeper angle to the horizontal axis than the other.

In fact, all that is necessary to determine everything there is to know about a linear function is the slope and the co-ordinates of just one point along the line graphing the function. A common form for describing a linear function is

\(\displaystyle y = a + bx.\) The coefficient of x (which I have indicated as b) is the slope. The known point is (0, a), called the y-intercept.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gadsilla, I would like some background information. If you're willing, please answer the following. The answers will help us provide you with appropriate guidance/suggestions. :cool:

Are you a returning student?

Are you currently enrolled in a math class?

Are you self-studying?

What is your math background?

How long has it been, since you previously studied math?

Why are you studying math?

Are you a returning student?
Yes & No. I did some econ classes back a couple years ago, but no math really. The math comes when you start doing econometrics & advanced micro or macro.

Yes, Calculus 1. Math 151 is what it's called here.

Are you self-studying?
Yes, I do study by myself but I've also got a teacher & class.

What is your math background
I don't remember all of it, I've moved to another country since then. I believe I did algebra and geometry.

About five years.

Why are you studying math?
A lot of math is required in Economics. I also like math because of the objectivity but I really struggle at certain parts.

About five years.

Yes, Calculus 1. Math 151 is what it's called here.
After five years, it's normal to forget nearly everything. I'm concerned that your school has placed you in the wrong class. Can you chat up your instructor for advice? Tell them about your situation and that you don't remember a lot of introductory arithmetic/algebra and you've not yet studied trigonometry/pre-calculus. They can advise you about what's in store for you, in their class.

I've worked with calculus students in similar situations (trying to learn or review four math courses at once); it never ended well because calculus requires a lot of time considering abstract concepts. Students who need to focus on underlying pre-requisites and mechanics, instead, rarely have a chance to consider the main themes of calculus in depth.

On the other hand, if you're willing to jump into the deep end of the pool before learning to swim, we can address your issues as they arise. Please be mindful that the forum is not an online classroom. We don't generally type up lessons because those already exist in textbooks and other teaching sites (easily accessible and free).

Did you have a chance to search the Internet for video lectures or written lessons on the meaning of slope? I do understand you have some difficulty understanding written examples about stuff you've forgotten (or never learned); that's normal, too. Yet, only you can determine which resources work for you.

We welcome any specific questions you may have about instruction you see elsewhere. Cheers :cool:

After five years, it's normal to forget nearly everything. I'm concerned that your school has placed you in the wrong class. Can you chat up your instructor for advice? Tell them about your situation and that you don't remember a lot of introductory arithmetic/algebra and you've not yet studied trigonometry/pre-calculus. They can advise you about what's in store for you, in their class.

I've worked with calculus students in similar situations (trying to learn or review four math courses at once); it never ended well because calculus requires a lot of time considering abstract concepts. Students who need to focus on underlying pre-requisites and mechanics, instead, rarely have a chance to consider the main themes of calculus in depth.

On the other hand, if you're willing to jump into the deep end of the pool before learning to swim, we can address your issues as they arise. Please be mindful that the forum is not an online classroom. We don't generally type up lessons because those already exist in textbooks and other teaching sites (easily accessible and free).

Did you have a chance to search the Internet for video lectures or written lessons on the meaning of slope? I do understand you have some difficulty understanding written examples about stuff you've forgotten (or never learned); that's normal, too. Yet, only you can determine which resources work for you.

We welcome any specific questions you may have about instruction you see elsewhere. Cheers :cool:

I'm done in 3 weeks. I've found success in memorizing formulas and progression methods without understanding them. Despite that, I'd still like to understand the material for later studies.

… I've found success in memorizing formulas and progression methods without understanding them. Despite that, I'd still like to understand …
Please excuse me; I'm having trouble digesting this, heh, heh. I'm going to sleep on it …

Success as in being able to pass calc 1 lol.
Yes, I understood.

But why wait until after you've completed a course (without understanding the 'what' and the 'why' -- blindly manipulating symbols according to pattern recognition instead of meaning) to decide to make an effort to understand the material? Why not strive for comprehension while you're taking the course?

I don't know what kind of calculus course that was, but usually the intro course covers the derivative. I have a hard time seeing how a student could successfully complete a class on differentiation without knowing the meaning of slope. Seems strange.

Do you use software (eg: graphing calculator), to do stuff like this: 6 - (7/3)(2)

Or, maybe your course allows decimal approximations for everything, and you never need to find exact answers. That would seem strange, too. :cool:

Yes, I understood.

But why wait until after you've completed a course (without understanding the 'what' and the 'why' -- blindly manipulating symbols according to pattern recognition instead of meaning) to decide to make an effort to understand the material? Why not strive for comprehension while you're taking the course?

I don't know what kind of calculus course that was, but usually the intro course covers the derivative. I have a hard time seeing how a student could successfully complete a class on differentiation without knowing the meaning of slope. Seems strange.

Do you use software (eg: graphing calculator), to do stuff like this: 6 - (7/3)(2)

Or, maybe your course allows decimal approximations for everything, and you never need to find exact answers. That would seem strange, too. :cool:

Yes I'd use a calculator for 6 - (7/3)(2)

Also for my degree I need a lot more math, including statistics, calculus 2 & econometrics. Which is why I'd like to understand it. The course was in King County which I see mentioned in your location. I would just memorize fomulas and plug values. I'm pretty sure it would work in Calc 2 as well, but I actually WANT to learn and understand it. I appreciate math.

I'm taking a degree in Economics, and you'll need to put calculus into practice as well so it's just a benefit properly understanding it instead of plugging values into formulas.

Last edited:
Yes I'd use a calculator for 6 - (7/3)(2)
You're thinking of getting the answer in decimal form, yes? (1.3333…)

I ought to have specified "for the exact answer". If you needed the exact answer (4/3), how would you get it? Use software?

33/4 + 5/7 = a/b

What is a? What is b? What would you do?

… for my degree I need a lot more math, including statistics, calculus 2 & econometrics … I actually WANT to learn and understand it …
I started typing my standard spiel about the natural progression of math instruction -- that which leads a person to the "big picture". Then I realized that I don't really know how little one needs, to make it in econometrics. Maybe computer algebra systems, spreadsheets, statistical software and such can get you there. (Maybe one doesn't need trig at all.)

So, good for you -- making an effort to understand what you're doing in these courses (even if retroactively). I wish you good fortune, but I can't advise you how to proceed. I and others can try to address your specific math questions, as they arise. I think the rest is up to you. :cool:

PS: I've heard from transfer students that Cascadia CC in Bothell allows calculators in their math courses, even for exams, so maybe it's the way of the future …

However, there is no Noble prize for Mathematics - and-

for last several decades all the Noble prizes in Economics were won by Mathematicians!!!

You're thinking of getting the answer in decimal form, yes? (1.3333…)

I ought to have specified "for the exact answer". If you needed the exact answer (4/3), how would you get it? Use software?

33/4 + 5/7 = a/b

What is a? What is b? What would you do?

I started typing my standard spiel about the natural progression of math instruction -- that which leads a person to the "big picture". Then I realized that I don't really know how little one needs, to make it in econometrics. Maybe computer algebra systems, spreadsheets, statistical software and such can get you there. (Maybe one doesn't need trig at all.)

So, good for you -- making an effort to understand what you're doing in these courses (even if retroactively). I wish you good fortune, but I can't advise you how to proceed. I and others can try to address your specific math questions, as they arise. I think the rest is up to you. :cool:

PS: I've heard from transfer students that Cascadia CC in Bothell allows calculators in their math courses, even for exams, so maybe it's the way of the future …
Econometrics is basically statistics applied to questions of economics. Essentially, a person with a degree in economtrics will have advanced knowledge in descriptive and inferential statistics. Theoretical economics can be highly mathematical. Basic mathematics expected of all professional economists today include calculus, differential and difference equations, matrix algebra, probability theory, and statistics. Wikipedia says that "mathematical economics" starts with the application of mathematical topics beyond those I have mentioned.

Econometrics is basically statistics applied to questions of economics. Essentially, a person with a degree in economtrics will have advanced knowledge in descriptive and inferential statistics. Theoretical economics can be highly mathematical. Basic mathematics expected of all professional economists today include calculus, differential and difference equations, matrix algebra, probability theory, and statistics. Wikipedia says that "mathematical economics" starts with the application of mathematical topics beyond those I have mentioned.
Oh dear.

I hope Gadsilla reads that, and perhaps researches a bit more.

https://www.quora.com/What-is-it-like-to-study-econometrics

https://www.quora.com/Is-econometrics-hard-Why-or-why-not

https://stats.stackexchange.com/que...variate-analysis-and-econometrics/58006#58006

However, there is no Noble prize for Mathematics - and-

for last several decades all the Noble prizes in Economics were won by Mathematicians!!!

Factually incorrect. Also, a lot of economics majors were originally math & physics majors but switched to economics for higher salaries. I already work in finance and the starting salaries are higher than what you can cap with a math degree.