Missing coordinates vertex of Kite on a non-graph paper

patelsm

kite.jpg

Hi,

Can you please help me out on this one?
I've found some youtube clips but they go one on using complex formulas which my 10 year old kid has not covered in school yet?

thanks,
Saf

View attachment 10533

Hi,

Can you please help me out on this one?
I've found some youtube clips but they go one on using complex formulas which my 10 year old kid has not covered in school yet?

thanks,
Saf

The picture isn't very clear, but the problem is simple enough.

What we really need to know is what he/she HAS learned about "kites" and about coordinates.

It will be helpful to know that the two diagonals of a kite are perpendicular, and to be able to recognize that the long diagonal, AC, is horizontal. That can provide the required x-coordinate. Also, the fact that the kite is symmetrical, so that D is as far below AC as B is above it, can give you the y-coordinate.

Please let me know what facts are available to be used here. (Ideally, the student should be telling us directly, as passing information through a parent often is not very efficient.)

You both should have read this, which tells how to make the most of the site.

The picture isn't very clear, but the problem is simple enough.

What we really need to know is what he/she HAS learned about "kites" and about coordinates.

It will be helpful to know that the two diagonals of a kite are perpendicular, and to be able to recognize that the long diagonal, AC, is horizontal. That can provide the required x-coordinate. Also, the fact that the kite is symmetrical, so that D is as far below AC as B is above it, can give you the y-coordinate.

Please let me know what facts are available to be used here. (Ideally, the student should be telling us directly, as passing information through a parent often is not very efficient.)

You both should have read this, which tells how to make the most of the site.

Dr P - thank you for this.
Me and my child have figured this out. The co-ordinate of D is (5,,2)
x is 5 - sorry this was obvious (as we know the x co-ordinate of B (same line) - my child did get this the first time
y is 2 - your hint helped us: the distance between the B-y co-ordinate and the point where the diagonals meet is 2 points below from B (the y co-ordinate of A which is 4 helps in this case . As Kite is symmetrical, the distance further below will be 2 points downwards so it will be 2.

I do not have answer sheet for this - so I take this is the correct answer.

thanks
Saf

Dr P - thank you for this.
Me and my child have figured this out. The co-ordinate of D is (5,,2)
x is 5 - sorry this was obvious (as we know the x co-ordinate of B (same line) - my child did get this the first time
y is 2 - your hint helped us: the distance between the B-y co-ordinate and the point where the diagonals meet is 2 points below from B (the y co-ordinate of A which is 4 helps in this case . As Kite is symmetrical, the distance further below will be 2 points downwards so it will be 2.

I do not have answer sheet for this - so I take this is the correct answer.

thanks
Saf

Yes, (5,2) is correct.