Equation with parameter. Help please

Avalance789

Sqrt (5-6*x)*ln(4*sqr(x)-sqr(a))=sqrt(5-6*x)*ln(2*x+a)

Find all possible a when an equation has only one possible solution.

Last edited by a moderator:

First, please show your work, or at least tell us where you are stuck. We're here to help you, not just to do the work for you. Have you read our submission guideline summary?

Second, please confirm whether you are using sqrt and sqr as synonyms, or whether sqr means "square of", i.e. x^2.

Third, please state the context of the question, including any constraints.

The first thing I see to do is to divide both sides by sqrt(5-6x); but then you need to keep in mind that this must exist and be non-zero in order for a solution to exist, which may affect what it means subsequently to have only one solution.

First, please read

https://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/threads/109845-Guidelines-Summary?p=422890&viewfull=1#post422890

As you should now understand, we give help rather than answers. Frequently, our help consists of asking questions of the kind that you should learn to ask yourself.

Are you dealing with real numbers or complex numbers?

Supposing that you are dealing with real numbers, are there implied restrictions on x? What are they?

It is frequently useful to consider boundary conditions. Is the special case when x = 5/6 relevant to your problem? If not, why not?

Teacher gives me result

(-5/3; -1/2] [2/3; 5/3)

But how? Is a solution on screenshot incorrect?

1e682cd7beb81ba8b5dbf01d225bdb35.jpg

sqr is not sqrt

No restrictions on x

Numbers are real

sqr is not sqrt

No restrictions on x

Numbers are real

The "solution" you showed seems to assume that "sqr" does mean "square root".

It also forgets that x has to be positive in order to have a square root, among other issues. So, no, don't trust it. But what he did is part of what I would do.

The same is true of your teacher's answer, unless you are right that "sqr" means something else. What does it mean?

Sqr means x^2
Power

That's a horrible notation, especially mixed with sqrt. But you're saying the equation is actually

sqrt (5-6x)*ln(4x^2-a^2)=sqrt(5-6x)*ln(2x+a)

What have YOU tried? As I said, some of the ideas on the wrong solution you showed are at least similar to things I suggested or would do.

Have you tried dividing by
sqrt(5-6x), keeping in mind that this requires x<5/6? Have you tried determining values of a for which 4x^2-a^2 = 2x+a has only one solution, or only one solution that is less than 5/6, or only one solution other than 5/6, which is always a solution unless one of the logs would be undefined?

There is a lot of detail to think about, but we can't discuss it until you've done the basics and are ready for complications!

4x^2-a^2 - 2x - a = 0

So we need to find a values when D=0?

Отправлено с моего SM-A750FN через Tapatalk

Then, if a=1, then it is quadrant equation?

Do you mean quadratic equation?

You have created confusion from the beginning by being unclear;
perhaps language problem?
I suggest you make SURE your posts are in PROPER English
(and proper use of math symbols) in the future...thank you.

Yes, if a=1 you do get a quadratic equation. I would also note that if a is any real number, then you also get a quadratic equation.

Teacher gives me result

(-5/3; -1/2] [2/3; 5/3)

But how? Is a solution on screenshot incorrect?

1e682cd7beb81ba8b5dbf01d225bdb35.jpg
I suspect that there are severe translation problems here. We cannot be sure of what the problem would say in English. Nor do we know exactly what your teacher said.

Let's try to clear up one source of confusion.

IMPLIED RESTRICTIONS.

If we are dealing with real numbers,

\(\displaystyle \sqrt{5 - 6x} \in \mathbb R \implies 0 \le 5 - 6x \implies 6x \le 5 \implies x \le \dfrac{5}{6}.\)

\(\displaystyle ln(4x^2 - a^2) \in \mathbb R \implies 0 < 4x^2 - a^2 \implies a^2 < 4x^2 \implies -\ 2|x| < a < 2|x|.\)

\(\displaystyle ln(2x + a) \in \mathbb R \implies 0 < 2x + a \implies -\ 2x < a.\)

Thus, whatever our answer may be, it must be subject to those restrictions.

Now \(\displaystyle x = \dfrac{5}{6} \implies \sqrt{5 - 6x} = 0 \implies 0 * ln(4x^2 - a^2) = 0 * ln(2x + a).\)

\(\displaystyle \therefore x = \dfrac{5}{6} \implies -\ 2 \left | \dfrac{5}{6} \right | < a < 2 \left | \dfrac{5}{6} \right | \implies -\ \dfrac{5}{3} < a < \dfrac{5}{3}.\)

This of course is an incomplete answer. It applies only to the special case of x = 5/6. If, however, the problem states or implies that a is to be a unique number, then x = 5/6 is excluded because a can take on many values. Otherwise, I do not see the rationale for the other restrictions on a. Nevertheless, without fully understanding the exact nuances of the problem in its original language, I have no basis to quibble with your teacher.

You can be sure, I understand English. As my teacher does. Not fluent, but pretty much acceptable though.

Thanks for you help! I love math

4x^2-a^2 - 2x - a = 0

So we need to find a values when D=0?

There's a lot more to it than that, as I've hinted.

This will give you a value of a for which there is only one solution to this equation, ignoring the restrictions that have been pointed out. But as I hope you've realized, x = 5/6 is also a solution, for any valid a, so in fact for that value of a, there are TWO solutions! That is not the answer.

I haven't worked all the way through it, but I got at least part of the answer by considering several cases (intervals in which a might lie) and considering what solutions there will be for x, taking all restrictions into account. For example, in one case x = 5/6 violates one of the restrictions, as does one of the solutions of your equation above, so that there is one solution. In other cases, it works differently.

I asked at one point for the context of the question, and you haven't answered that. This is a very complicated problem; is it meant to be a contest problem, or a challenge problem, or is there something you have been learning that this is supposed to exercise? And if your teacher gave you an answer, why has he not explained the reasoning?

Ок, but if a=1, then x=1.

Cannot be that -5/3<a<5/3

I suspect that there are severe translation problems here. We cannot be sure of what the problem would say in English. Nor do we know exactly what your teacher said.

Let's try to clear up one source of confusion.

IMPLIED RESTRICTIONS.

If we are dealing with real numbers,

\(\displaystyle \sqrt{5 - 6x} \in \mathbb R \implies 0 \le 5 - 6x \implies 6x \le 5 \implies x \le \dfrac{5}{6}.\)

\(\displaystyle ln(4x^2 - a^2) \in \mathbb R \implies 0 < 4x^2 - a^2 \implies a^2 < 4x^2 \implies -\ 2|x| < a < 2|x|.\)

\(\displaystyle ln(2x + a) \in \mathbb R \implies 0 < 2x + a \implies -\ 2x < a.\)

Thus, whatever our answer may be, it must be subject to those restrictions.

Now \(\displaystyle x = \dfrac{5}{6} \implies \sqrt{5 - 6x} = 0 \implies 0 * ln(4x^2 - a^2) = 0 * ln(2x + a).\)

\(\displaystyle \therefore x = \dfrac{5}{6} \implies -\ 2 \left | \dfrac{5}{6} \right | < a < 2 \left | \dfrac{5}{6} \right | \implies -\ \dfrac{5}{3} < a < \dfrac{5}{3}.\)

This of course is an incomplete answer. It applies only to the special case of x = 5/6. If, however, the problem states or implies that a is to be a unique number, then x = 5/6 is excluded because a can take on many values. Otherwise, I do not see the rationale for the other restrictions on a. Nevertheless, without fully understanding the exact nuances of the problem in its original language, I have no basis to quibble with your teacher.
But if a=0? Or a=1?

What's with this quadratic equation?

Cannot be that -5/3<a<5/3 cause then, if a =1 means sqrt(5-6x) = NaN

And if a=0 it doesn't satisfy x as well

No severe translation problems gere

If we have to find such gaps or values of a, when x=5/6?

What shoul I do then?

Cannot be that -5/3<a<5/3 cause then, if a =1 means sqrt(5-6x) = NaN

And if a=0 it doesn't satisfy x as well

Please show us complete work as far as you have gone, so we can know where you are coming from. As I've said, the solution involves a lot of reasoning, so any question you ask will depend on the context within all that.

The answer you said your teacher provided is not -5/3<a<5/3, and I don't think anyone else has said that; so who are you arguing against?

But why would a=1 imply that sqrt(5-6x) is undefined?

The equation was
sqrt(5-6x)*ln(4x^2-a^2) = sqrt(5-6x)*ln(2x+a) .

If a=1, it becomes
sqrt(5-6x)*ln(4x^2-1) = sqrt(5-6x)*ln(2x+1) .

This is true if x = 5/6; it is also true if 4x^2-1 =
2x+1, which is true for x = -1/2 or x = 1. But if x = -1/2, the logs are undefined, so this is excluded as a solution; and if x = 1, the square roots are undefined, so that is also excluded. So this is a case (among many) in which x = 5/6 is the only solution.

What you need to do is to find all conditions under which this situation, or another involving different conditions, occurs.