Printer's devilry

Denis

Shoppers shot at WalMart.

Insert the word "opal" in above such that you get another sentence.

… Insert the word "opal" …
Me thinks your instruction needs adjusting. :cool: If we insert 'opal' as a word, then it will have spaces around it. If we insert the character string 'opal', then the characters must be adjacent to one another (i.e., no spaces).

How 'bout: "Insert the letters {o, p, a, l} into the sentence above, to get a new sentence. The letters must retain the given order, but may be spaced as desired."

You must shop a lot.

Me thinks your instruction needs adjusting. :cool: If we insert 'opal' as a word, then it will have spaces around it. If we insert the character string 'opal', then the characters must be adjacent to one another (i.e., no spaces).

How 'bout: "Insert the letters {o, p, a, l} into the sentence above, to get a new sentence. The letters must retain the given order, but may be spaced as desired."

You must shop a lot.
Ok I finally get it. I interpreted it as if you could split the sequence o,p,a,l , but you can't, they have to stay next to each other.
Eg I was thinking:
So hoppers shop … but wasn't getting anywhere.

I think the instruction is still not clear enough. Can't think of how to reword it though.

Maybe something like:
"Insert the letters {o, p, a, l} into the sentence above, to get a new sentence. The letters must retain the given order
and adjacency
, but may be spaced as desired."

Last edited:
Maybe something like:
"Insert the letters {o, p, a, l} into the sentence above, to get a new sentence. The letters must retain the given order
and adjacency
, but may be spaced as desired."
Yer not familiar with printer's devilry?

… Looks like it didn't prevent you from getting right answer!!
Correct. Bit of a delay, though. (Never seen this puzzle type, before.)

I checked your linked source; they present these puzzles without stating the letters to be added. That way might be too difficult for me to enjoy -- especially for longish sentences.

… I think the instruction is still not clear enough. Can't think of how to reword it though.
I see the ambiguity.

How 'about revised: "Insert the letters {o, p, a, l} into the sentence above, to get a new sentence. In the new sentence, the added letters must retain their given order, without other letters between them, but they may be spaced as needed."