Proof by induction, summation series

ka923

30.PNG
For this question im not sure whether to start with n=0 or n=1 as i have never ran into a question like this plz help

View attachment 10592
For this question im not sure whether to start with n=0 or n=1 as i have never ran into a question like this plz help
@ka923, having nine other posts you know the routine here.
You show what you have done. You ask questions about your work. WE try to help you.

View attachment 10592
The answer to your question really depends on what Z0+ means in your text/class. You can always check to see if both sides are equal when n=0 and if it is, then it really doesn't matter if you start with n=0or n=1
Normally Z+ means positive integers but that subscript of 0 throws me off a bit

The 2nd to the last line is not true. The 2nd summation (if you insist on using sigma notion) should have r going from k+1 to k+1 as you are adding on the last term. You are adding the 1st 2 terms twice. Why??

Last edited:
i think i made a huge mistake here lol, i thought adding the first term again would give me k+1

i think i made a huge mistake here lol, i thought adding the first term again would give me k+1
But you added the 1st two terms! Also, as I hope you already noticed, the 1st term and the last term may not be equal!

yes after that silly mistake i tried adding my result from n=k and (k+1) but it doesnt seem to work im really stuck right now

i tried adding my result from n=k and (k+1)
Did you mean---i tried adding my result from r=k to (k+1)??
If yes, why are you adding the results for r=k in both summations? Just add on the results for r=k+1 to the summation from r = 0to r =k (or from r=1to r=k)

Suppose that \(\displaystyle \sum\limits_{k = 1}^N {{k^4}} = \frac{1}{{30}}N(N + 1)(2N + 1)(3{N^2} + 3N - 1)\) IS TRUE.
Then
\(\displaystyle \begin{align*}\sum\limits_{k = 1}^{N + 1} {{k^4}} &= \sum\limits_{k = 1}^N {{k^4}} + {(N + 1)^4} \\&=\frac{1}{{30}}N(N + 1)(2N + 1)(3{N^2} + 3N - 1)+(N+1)^4 \end{align*}\)

What can you do with that?