Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Indefinite Integral without Trig Substitution: integrate (dx/(sqrt(-4x - x^2)))

Question Indefinite Integral without Trig Substitution: integrate (dx/(sqrt(-4x - x^2)))

So I'm trying to understand how to integrate: (dx/(sqrt(-4x - x^2))) without using trig substitution as I'm in a Calc 1 class and we're not supposed to use anything other than u-substitution. I get stuck after completing the square:

indefinite integral of (dx/(sqrt(-4x - x^2)))
    indefinite integral of (dx/(sqrt(-(x + 2)^2 + 4)))

Let u = x + 2

indefinite integral of (dx/(sqrt(4 - u^2)))

Perhaps this is an algebra question, but I'm not sure how you get that 4 to be a 1 as it's inside a radical and part of a sum. What do I do from here?

Quote Originally Posted by debased View Post
    So I'm trying to understand how to integrate: (dx/(sqrt(-4x - x^2))) without using trig substitution as I'm in a Calc 1 class and we're not supposed to use anything other than u-substitution. I get stuck after completing the square:

Let u = x + 2

Perhaps this is an algebra question, but I'm not sure how you get that 4 to be a 1 as it's inside a radical and part of a sum. What do I do from here?
    Until you integrate or differentiate any questions you have will be either algebra or arithmetic.

Note that 4 =2^2.
    4-u^2 = 4(1 - u^2/4) = 4(1-(u/2)^2). So sqrt(4-u^2) = sqrt(4(1-(u/2)^2)) =sqrt(4)*sqrt((1-(u/2)^2) = 2*sqrt((1-(u/2)^2).

Now what???
    A mathematician is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat which isnít there. - Charles R. Darwin

Let u = x + 2

You say you can only use u-substitution. I would call a trig substitution a kind of u-substitution, but I won't quibble over that.

The question is, what basic forms have you learned, that you can handle after you substitute? Are you implying that you have been given a formula for the integral of, say, du/sqrt(1 - u^2)?

Quote Originally Posted by Jomo View Post
    Until you integrate or differentiate any questions you have will be either algebra or arithmetic.

Note that 4 =2^2.
    4-u^2 = 4(1 - u^2/4) = 4(1-(u/2)^2). So sqrt(4-u^2) = sqrt(4(1-(u/2)^2)) =sqrt(4)*sqrt((1-(u/2)^2) = 2*sqrt((1-(u/2)^2).

Now what???
    Then I get to 1/2 * arcsin(1/2x + 1) + C which doesn't work.

Then I get to 1/2 * arcsin(1/2x + 1) + C which doesn't work.
    I presume you mean arcsin((1/2)x + 1).

So you started with INT du/[2 sqrt(1-(u/2)^2)], and ended up with (1/2) arcsin((1/2)x + 1) + C. That's what I got, though I wrote it differently.

What do you mean by saying it doesn't work? Do you mean you took the derivative and didn't end up with the integrand?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Peterson View Post
    I presume you mean arcsin((1/2)x + 1).

So you started with INT du/[2 sqrt(1-(u/2)^2)], and ended up with (1/2) arcsin((1/2)x + 1) + C. That's what I got, though I wrote it differently.

What do you mean by saying it doesn't work? Do you mean you took the derivative and didn't end up with the integrand?
    Yeah if I differentiate that I get 1/(2 sqrt(-x (4 + x)))

Yeah if I differentiate that I get 1/(2 sqrt(-x (4 + x)))
    I don't.

Please write out the details and check your work.

I don't.

Please write out the details and check your work.
    d/dx [ (1/2) * arcsin((1/2)x + 1) ]

(1/2) * d/dx [ arcsin((1/2)x + 1) ]

(1/2) * ( 1/(sqrt(1 - ((x+2)/2)^2)) * (1/2) )

(1/4) * (1/(sqrt(1 - ((x+2)/2)^2)))

1/(4 * sqrt(1 - ((x+2)/2)^2))

1/(4 * sqrt((-x^2 - 4x)/4))

1/(2 * sqrt(-4x - x^2))
    Last edited by debased; 12-07-2018 at 05:37 PM.

d/dx [ (1/2) * arcsin((1/2)x + 1) ]

(1/2) * d/dx [ arcsin((1/2)x + 1) ]

(1/2) * ( 1/(sqrt(1 - ((x+2)/2)^2)) * (1/2) )

(1/4) * (1/(sqrt(1 - ((x+2)/2)^2)))

1/(4 * sqrt(1 - ((x+2)/2)^2))

1/(4 * sqrt((-x^2 - 4x)/4))

1/(2 * sqrt(-4x - x^2))
    Sorry about that -- there are too many 1/2's floating around. The result I got for the integral didn't have the 1/2 on the outside; it was just arcsin((1/2)x + 1).

So we'll have to look at the last steps of your integration, rather than your check.

Sorry about that -- there are too many 1/2's floating around. The result I got for the integral didn't have the 1/2 on the outside; it was just arcsin((1/2)x + 1).

So we'll have to look at the last steps of your integration, rather than your check.
    No worries, I've been staring at this for hours and I can't figure out where I went wrong. Can you show me the steps you did to integrate?