Probability - Normal distribution

Georgegr

Hello to everyone. I need help with this problem.
For a random variable X that follows a normal distribution with an unknown mean μ, variance of 2 and P(X<7)=P(X>14), what is the probability P(X<=10)?
The possible answers are:
A. 0.5987 B. 0.5 C. 0.4013 D. 0.8413

I have one equation with one unknown variable, so I can't calculate the asked probability. Any ideas?

Last edited:
For a random variable X that follows a normal distribution with an unknown mean μ, variance of 2 and P(X<7=P(X>14), what is the probability P(X<=10)?

I have one equation with one unknown variable, so I can't calculate the asked probability. Any ideas?
That needs to be edited - please fix it.

For a random variable X that follows a normal distribution with an unknown mean μ, variance of 2 and P(X<7)=P(X>14), what is the probability P(X<=10)?

What equation is that? How are you trying to find the probability?

I would think about P(X<7)=P(X>14) in relation to the symmetry of the normal distribution, and use it to find the mean. Then I'd calculate z and the probability.

Unfortunately, I don't get any of the listed answers. I would, if it were the standard deviation rather than the variance that is 2. Did you copy that correctly?

I simply try to calculate it via the tranformation Z=(X-μ)/sqrt(2), but μ is unknown. Actually X~Normal(μ,2).

I simply try to calculate it via the tranformation Z=(X-μ)/sqrt(2), but μ is unknown. Actually X~Normal(μ,2).

Did you read what I said?

The statement that P(X<7)=P(X>14) implies what μ is. Think about it! Because the normal distribution is symmetric, under what conditions will two tails on opposite ends be equal?

Only after you see what μ is can you calculate z.

None of the choices seem to be correct.

It should be pretty obvious, (though I guess it wasn't) that \(\displaystyle \mu = \dfrac{7+14}{2} = \dfrac{21}{2}\)

\(\displaystyle \Phi\left(\dfrac{10 - \frac{21}{2}}{\sqrt{2}}\right) \approx 0.361837\)

This isn't listed as a choice.

None of the choices seem to be correct.

It should be pretty obvious, (though I guess it wasn't) that \(\displaystyle \mu = \dfrac{7+14}{2} = \dfrac{21}{2}\)

\(\displaystyle \Phi\left(\dfrac{10 - \frac{21}{2}}{\sqrt{2}}\right) \approx 0.361837\)

This isn't listed as a choice.

I was trying to leave it for the OP to realize this; but what you say agrees with what I said in post #3:

Unfortunately, I don't get any of the listed answers. I would, if it were the standard deviation rather than the variance that is 2. Did you copy that correctly?

Well I found it! The correct answer is C. The mean is 21/2 and the standard deviation is 2. Thank's for your help. Finally, it was easy...

Well I found it! The correct answer is C. The mean is 21/2 and the standard deviation is 2. Thank's for your help. Finally, it was easy...

I assume you're saying that you misquoted the problem when you said the variance was 2?

Actually, since 10 is less than the mean and C was the only answer less than 0.5, I guessed it even before I did any calculations -- but then the details made even that answer wrong, so we had to ask. So, yes, the answer was easy once the problem was correct.

The correct way to use this notation is \(\displaystyle X \thicksim N(\mu , \sigma^2)\), where the second parameter is variance.

Unfortunately, I have seen, in more than one textbook \(\displaystyle X\thicksim~N(\mu, \sigma)\), where the second parameter is standard deviation.

Maybe this was the issue here, or else the answer given was simple incorrect.

Last edited: