Solving this quadratic equation on coordinate plane

I am greatly confused by the intent of the question. Perhaps some insight into the title or purpose of the chapter in question would make it clearer. Is the question asking that you reduce to equivalent functions and use a partial linear substitution?

Will give us an indication of "where this guy is at"!
If he can't solve a quadratic, then we can simply wave him bye-bye...
In a polite fashion, of course :rolleyes:

The impression I get is that the problem may come from the very beginning of a chapter on quadratic equations, where they are so far only solving by graphing. So this may be entirely irrelevant.

But I may be totally misjudging the context. It's hard to work through a long thread and pick up all the clues.

Phavonic, can you tell us more about what you have been learning, in terms of the chapter you are in and what topics have been covered? This may help us better understand both what the question is expecting, and what kinds of help you need.

EDIT: I looked at Phavonic's earlier threads, and they seem to be well beyond solving quadratic equations, so my impression probably was wrong. However, it does appear that the question is not asking for algebraic solutions, so the context may still be something like what I said.

Last edited:
I want to change 2x2 - 4x + 1 = 0 to 1 - x - x2
by moving as much as I can to the right-hand like of the = sign.
A "possible" answer to what you stated above is:
Code:
 2x^2 - 4x + 1
-3x^2 + 3x
==============
 -x^2 -  x + 1
So "move" (subtract) -3x^2 + 3x

Ready for a good ole laugh Phav?
You will agree that this problem is as difficult to understand as the
conversation between 4 mother-in-laws sitting at a Bingo table :p

A "possible" answer to what you stated above is:
Code:
 2x^2 - 4x + 1
-3x^2 + 3x
==============
 -x^2 -  x + 1
So "move" (subtract) -3x^2 + 3x

Ready for a good ole laugh Phav?
You will agree that this problem is as difficult to understand as the
conversation between 4 mother-in-laws sitting at a Bingo table :p

… or the conversation between 4 fathers-in-law trying to work a washing machine (just keeping it even!)