A spent $27, E $9, S $36; who pays how much to whom, to even up what each paid?

Kyle12341423

Three roommates share household supplies and split the costs. Each buys items and adds the items to the ledger. At the end of the month they reimburse each other for expenses on the ledger.

Adam spent $27
Eve spent $9
Satan spent $36

Who owes who what?

Note: They share costs at a rate of about 30% or 1/3 (divide by 3)

Three roommates share household supplies and split the costs. Each buys items and adds the items to the ledger. At the end of the month they reimburse each other for expenses on the ledger.

Adam spent $27
Eve spent $9
Satan spent $36

Who owes who what?

Please share with us, your thoughts/work re. this assignments.

Adam spent $27
Eve spent $9
Satan spent $36

Who owes who what?

First, keep in mind that 1/3 is not 30%. Don't use percentages to solve this!

I would start by considering how much each would have spent if they each spent the same amount (but had the same total).

Adam spent $27
Eve spent $9
Satan spent $36

Who owes who what?

Think about it this way. Suppose I (not a roommate) paid for everything purchased and at the end of the month you have to pay me back. So how much does each of the three roommates owe me? What if I was paid $27, $9 and $36 from the roommates as outlined above. I got all my money but how would you three square away the fact that you did not pay equal amounts?

Adam spent $27
Eve spent $9
Satan spent $36

Who owes who what?

This, like many practical problems, can be solved through a sequence of arithmetic problems.

How much was spent in total?

So how much should each person pay?

How much did each person pay?

Who has overpaid and by how much?

Who has underpaid and by how much?

Now can you answer the question?

All most 9 hours gone by - since the OP appeared. Several responses with probing questions - no response from OP!! I wonder......