recommendations?

allegansveritatem

I have been going through Robert Blixer's Introductory Algebra for College Students for the last year or so and am coming to the end of it. I wonder what would be a good book to use to continue studying this subject. Algebra to me is a kind of hobby. I like it better than playing video games or building model boats etc. in my old age..

Last edited:
Have you tried googling for free, online algebra texts for download? You could check their table of contents, to determine which cover material new to you.

Also, there are free, online math courses available through several 2-yr and 4-yr colleges around the world. You might enjoy putting what you've already learned 'to the test', so to speak. :cool:

I have been going through Robert Blixer's Introductory Algebra for College Students for the last year or so and am coming to the end of it. I wonder what would be a good book to use to continue studying this subject. Algebra to me is a kind of hobby. I like it better than playing video games or building model boats etc. in my old age..
I am glad that you enjoy math! I'd like to add to the great advice already given by saying that most algebra/precalculus books are the same so there should be no worries about that.

Functions and Graphs by Earl Swokowski is one of the best advanced college algebra ever written.
There are some very good used copies available HERE What can you lose for less than $10?

Last edited:
Functions and Graphs by Earl Swokowski is one of the best advanced college algebra ever written. …
Agree!

Sometimes, I regret not having held on to my copy, but at least it went to a good home. :cool:

Many universities, including MIT, put some (or all) of their undergrad lectures online. The lectures are usually a few years old, so the texts are not the current texts, and you can usually get them on clearance for, quite literally, about a penny on the dollar. Then, you have a semester-long lecture series (free), and the text that goes with it, for $1.99 or so. If all you want to do is learn, and don't care about ever getting credits and degrees, they're absolutely wonderful.

I know you won't find the algebra on MIT's Open Courseware, but I'm teaching my eldest daughter first year calculus and chemistry, in preparation for the CLEP exams, and doing it based primarily off of the MIT lectures and texts. But many other colleges and universities so put their lectures on YouTube.

Last edited:
Have you tried googling for free, online algebra texts for download? You could check their table of contents, to determine which cover material new to you.

Also, there are free, online math courses available through several 2-yr and 4-yr colleges around the world. You might enjoy putting what you've already learned 'to the test', so to speak. :cool:
Thanks. I may look into that.

Many universities, including MIT, put some (or all) of their undergrad lectures online. The lectures are usually a few years old, so the texts are not the current texts, and you can usually get them on clearance for, quite literally, about a penny on the dollar. Then, you have a semester-long lecture series (free), and the text that goes with it, for $1.99 or so. If all you want to do is learn, and don't care about ever getting credits and degrees, they're absolutely wonderful.

I know you won't find the algebra on MIT's Open Courseware, but I'm teaching my eldest daughter first year calculus and chemistry, in preparation for the CLEP exams, and doing it based primarily off of the MIT lectures and texts. But many other colleges and universities so put their lectures on YouTube.

Yes, I know that is a lot of math on Youtube...but it is almost too much. An embarrassment of riches, so to speak. That is why I like to use a book, at least use a book before I look at any videos. And then, it is nice to have all the problems to work at leisure.

This looks pretty good. I think I have used it before. But I am one of those old timers who likes a book to chew through.
The video (for precalculus) models a precalculus book by Stewart. I like this book very much. If you like, I can track down the edition number so you can get that book and follow along with the video. There are problems after problem worked out--you can pause the video, try to do the problem yourself and then watch the video. Just let me know.

The video (for precalculus) models a precalculus book by Stewart. I like this book very much. If you like, I can track down the edition number so you can get that book and follow along with the video. There are problems after problem worked out--you can pause the video, try to do the problem yourself and then watch the video. Just let me know.
Which video are you referring to? There seem to be a lot of vids on many topics, some not germane to the subject....
If you give me the title of the book and author I can look it up. Thanks very much for offering.

$ 5.69 + FREE Shipping - not even $10

Thanks for the link. I will check that out. I find I have a book in my collection by this author but it seems to be something like a review of algebra and then there is a section on Trigonometry and then something called analytic algebra. The title is not the same as the one you reference.