Doubt parameterization: interaction between a fundamental particle and hydrogen atoms

leanzito juan

Good afternoon guys, I'm studying some math and I came across a problem. It is necessary, from a graph obtained through experiments, to carry out the parameterization of this one. Honestly, I did not quite understand what he wants with this parameterization. Follow the graph below (on the logarithmic scale).
exemplo.jpg

Intuitively, I thought of this parameterization as a way to describe the graph mathematically, for that I divided it into 3 regions of the domain and for each one I found a corresponding function, for example, in the first region, I found a first degree equation (a and b would be the parameters?) and so on. Does it have anything to do with it? If not, what would this parameterization be? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• exemplo.jpg
    exemplo.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 2
Good afternoon guys, I'm studying some math and I came across a problem. It is necessary, from a graph obtained through experiments, to carry out the parameterization of this one. Honestly, I did not quite understand what he wants with this parameterization. Follow the graph below (on the logarithmic scale).
View attachment 10645

Intuitively, I thought of this parameterization as a way to describe the graph mathematically, for that I divided it into 3 regions of the domain and for each one I found a corresponding function, for example, in the first region, I found a first degree equation (a and b would be the parameters?) and so on. Does it have anything to do with it? If not, what would this parameterization be? Thanks in advance!
Why partition it where you did? Can we please see exactly what the question is that you were ask--word for word

Why partition it where you did? Can we please see exactly what the question is that you were ask--word for word

The question is: "Parametrize the graph obtained from experimental data". I did not understand exactly what this parameterization would be. Intuitively, I thought of finding a function that would describe the graph using parameters. Thank you in advance.

The question is: "Parametrize the graph obtained from experimental data". I did not understand exactly what this parameterization would be. Intuitively, I thought of finding a function that would describe the graph using parameters. Thank you in advance.

I don't think "parametrize" means what you think it means. Here is an explanation of what I would mean by it. It doesn't seem very relevant.

It is not at all clear what you are expected to do, based only on this sentence. Were you given any examples? Was the concept defined? Or is this not from a classroom setting?

I don't think "parametrize" means what you think it means. Here is an explanation of what I would mean by it. It doesn't seem very relevant.

It is not at all clear what you are expected to do, based only on this sentence. Were you given any examples? Was the concept defined? Or is this not from a classroom setting?

Hello Dr. Peterson. Thanks for the answer.

It's from an online course I'm doing about particle physics. The graph refers to cross-sections of the interaction between a fundamental particle and hydrogen atoms and the data used to generate the graph are obtained experimentally.

The question asked to parameterize the graph using a maximum of 7 parameters.

PS: I also thought it referred to the parameterization seen in the calculus discipline (which you have given the meaning to). But it looks like it's not exactly that or I did not understand what it's like to do (mainly because of the use of 7 parameters to solve the problem, what would be these parameters?)

Thanks for the help.