Structures: "List the topics covered in structures maths lessons..."

Empsie

I don't know whether I've posted this under the correct topic. This is a question brought home from school by a Year 7 pupil (11-years-old): "List the topics covered in structures maths lessons and explain how one of them will help you build a structure."

She is totally stuck and I have no idea what the lesson might have been about. Any suggestion?

I don't know whether I've posted this under the correct topic. This is a question brought home from school by a Year 7 pupil (11-years-old): "List the topics covered in structures maths lessons and explain how one of them will help you build a structure."

She is totally stuck and I have no idea what the lesson might have been about. Any suggestion?
Please look at the assigned text book and see what do they list under "structured math". As far as I know "structured math" is not a universally standard name. So the topics can vary between various curricula.

Structures Math

Statics?
Strength of Materials?

Really an engineering course?

THanks for your replies. There is no assigned textbook. They don't appear to be using one. The last lesson was apparently about multiplying decimal numbers, which appears to be irrelevant to the homework question, so frankly, I'm stumped!

I tried searching for "structures maths" and found nothing to suggest it is a common name for a topic or course. Clearly the question assumes the students have heard of it; it may be a chapter in their book, or a topic in their curriculum perhaps involving geometrical concepts. My guess is that their book contains a list of topics that will be covered in this particular course, and the question is meant to get them to look at that list and think about how it might be useful in upcoming projects.

Do you have access to this book, or to equivalent notes? Does the student recall anything being said about this at all?

THanks for your replies. There is no assigned textbook. They don't appear to be using one. The last lesson was apparently about multiplying decimal numbers, which appears to be irrelevant to the homework question, so frankly, I'm stumped!

I guess the student just has to ask the teacher what the question means. Either something has been said in class but not heard, or the teacher is assuming knowledge that the students don't have. Either way, the answer is communication ...

A classmate is another possible source of information, in the former case. Also, some schools/teachers provide online background information for parents; if not, it could be worth suggesting that at least a syllabus could be provided, and perhaps a glossary. I've heard too many parents expressing confusion when their children can't tell them what they've learned, so they can't help them.

Was this question copied and handwritten by the student? I'm thinking the word "structures" may have been copied incorrectly??

Have a look at his/her exercise book for the type of questions they have been doing for the last few weeks.

Thanks for all your input on this. The question was printed, not handwritten. Discussion among the students failed to reach a definite conclusion about what was being asked. There was much confusion but most decided it probably had something to do with the lesson on rectangles and triangles they had recently. I think this is a case of the teacher not communicating properly with the students.