will not bring down the price of groceries :(

Just discovered that:
if n is a 4 digit number such that the 2 digit number
formed by its 1st 2 digits is 1 greater than the
2 digit number formed by its last 2 digits,
and n is a square, then only one such n exists: 8281

Unfortunately, such a mathshaking discovery
It is a good thing that such discoveries - although fantastically mathshaking - will not bring down the price of groceries.

Because that might trigger a vicious cycle of hyper-deflation and the whole human society will be destroyed.

As far as I can tell, even the discovery of "E = mc2" did not bring down the price of groceries!!!

Just discovered that:
if n is a 4 digit number such that the 2 digit number
formed by its 1st 2 digits is 1 greater than the
2 digit number formed by its last 2 digits,
and n is a square, then only one such n exists: 8281

Unfortunately, such a mathshaking discovery
And the proof is....

I have a foolproof method to bring down the cost of groceries. I've been using it for years, and it requires no calculations or other work. :cool:

Are you saying that E = mc^2 is more important than my 8281 discovery:confused:
No....No... bite my tongue...

I just meant those are equivalently grocery-bill-non-helpers.

Are you saying that E = mc^2 is more important than my 8281 discovery:confused:
\(\displaystyle E = mc^2\) is not so important. It's \(\displaystyle E^2 = (pc)^2 + (mc^2)^2\).

Yes, I'm a purist.

-Dan

Everyone is afraid of Sir Denis. People need to take their medications on a regular basis. Clearly Denis isn't taking anything. Or at least anything his doctor would approve of.

-Dan

Everyone is afraid of Sir Denis. People need to take their medications on a regular basis. Clearly Denis isn't taking anything. Or at least anything his doctor would approve of.

-Dan
Now, now. Be nice. Poor Canadians, the sun doesn't shine for six months of the year, and their native cuisine's high point is Red River cereal (except in Nunavut, the cuisine of which it is improper to speak when children may hear).

Not that extreme, but, yeah, just don't eat so much.

In general, North Americans eat WAY too much (not to mention all of the purchased food that ends up wasted.)

Shoplifting is illegal.
Yes, boys and girls. Shoplifting is bad, okaaay?

On the other hand, "stealing" $1,000 from Bank of America through their Keep-The-Change program (now defunct) was entirely legal; the bank encouraged me to do it! Although, it did tend to upset the checkers at Safeway (and a few customers, waiting in line behind me) when I used four separate debit cards to pay for four smallest mushrooms or four smallest green beans (each rung up separately) because the scales couldn't always detect the weight force of such small objects -- requiring me to start tossing coins onto the scale, from the use-a-penny/give-a-penny jar.

It was also quite challenging to pump one cent worth of gasoline (the quickest squeeze on the handle almost always generated a three-cent charge). However, pumping/paying, pumping/paying, pumping/paying and pumping/paying (with each of the four debit cards) was considerably less stressful for all than with the mushroom and bean episodes, as I simply avoided overheated cashiers by paying at the pump. At least, no one waiting for the pump ever started screaming, like some did inside Safeway …

After three months, I took the banker's $1,000. Was it worth the trouble? You bet it was! We're talkin' Bank of America, here. :twisted:

Last edited:
\(\displaystyle E = mc^2\) is not so important. It's \(\displaystyle E^2 = (pc)^2 + (mc^2)^2\).

Yes, I'm a purist.

-Dan
Wait a minute .... since you are purist, that m should have been:

mo = rest mass - we are referring to two different types of masses here....

Wait a minute .... since you are purist, that m should have been:

mo = rest mass - we are referring to two different types of masses here....
Modern convention uses "m" as the only mass of the particle, not just being the rest mass. Any use of reference frames puts the speed dependence in the 4-momentum.

-Dan

Addendum: That's a Particle Physics convention. Now that I think of it I don't know what conventions the Relativists use.

Now, now. Be nice. Poor Canadians, the sun doesn't shine for six months of the year, and their native cuisine's high point is Red River cereal (except in Nunavut, the cuisine of which it is improper to speak when children may hear).
I'll have you know that we're the world's top producers
of maple syrup and poutine !!
<...and hockey pucks...>