need help: Greg and Kristine are on opposite ends of a zip line that crosses a gorge.

daveyc3000

"Greg and Kristine are on opposite ends of a zip line that crosses a gorge. Greg went across the gorge first, and he's now on a ledge that's 15 m above the bottom of the gorge. Kristen is at the top of a cliff that is 72 m above the bottom of the gorge. Jon is on the ground at the bottom of the gorge, below the zip line. He sees Kristen at a 65 degree angle of elevation and Greg at a 35 degree angle of elevation,. What is the width of the gorge to the nearest metre?"

Answer: 55 m.

"Greg and Kristine are on opposite ends of a zip line that crosses a gorge. Greg went across the gorge first, and he's now on a ledge that's 15 m above the bottom of the gorge. Kristen is at the top of a cliff that is 72 m above the bottom of the gorge. Jon is on the ground at the bottom of the gorge, below the zip line. He sees Kristen at a 65 degree angle of elevation and Greg at a 35 degree angle of elevation,. What is the width of the gorge to the nearest metre?"

It might be good to draw a picture and show us some of your best trigonometry. The difficulty is in deciding where, exactly, Jon is. You might want to put him in the middle of the gorge - unless there's a river and he can't swim.

After you draw the picture, you should see that you need to find the horizontal distance from Jon to each of the others, and add these. What trig function will be appropriate?

It might be good to draw a picture and show us some of your best trigonometry. The difficulty is in deciding where, exactly, Jon is. You might want to put him in the middle of the gorge - unless there's a river and he can't swim.

Ya the question doesn't state where he is precisely.

Ya the question doesn't state where he is precisely.

I think it's reasonably clear that he's at the bottom of the gorge, between the two others, who are respectively 15 and 72 meters higher. That's all you need to know. (The rest is for you to figure out from the given data.)

What have you tried so far? You haven't shown any work, so we can't help much. (Did you read our guidelines?)

I think it's reasonably clear that he's at the bottom of the gorge, between the two others, who are respectively 15 and 72 meters higher. That's all you need to know. (The rest is for you to figure out from the given data.)

What have you tried so far? You haven't shown any work, so we can't help much. (Did you read our guidelines?)

I'll upload the work shortly

ill upload what i have shortly.

Just for the record, I help out on MHF, MHB, MMF, and here. I noticed that you posted your problem on all of these fora after Dr. Peterson asked you to show what work you've done. It seems fair that if you can post the same question on all of these fora in order to see if someone is going to just give you the answer then I can respond with the same comment on each as well.
As Dr, Peterson asked you on FMH: "What have you tried so far?"

-Dan

Just for the record, I help out on MHF, MHB, MMF, and here. I noticed that you posted your problem on all of these fora after Dr. Peterson asked you to show what work you've done. It seems fair that if you can post the same question on all of these fora in order to see if someone is going to just give you the answer then I can respond with the same comment on each as well.

-Dan
Thanks Dan. I was going to try to offer help but that will not happen now.

The OP posted at MHB (and other sites) that they had found the answer elsewhere, and no longer needed help. Since I admin at MHB, I wanted the thread to at least be useful to others viewing it in the future, so I gave the thread a useful title, and posted how to obtain the solution.

In hindsight, I should have waited a day or two before doing so, because now I feel I may have fallen for a trick. :p

The OP posted at MHB (and other sites) that they had found the answer elsewhere, and no longer needed help. Since I admin at MHB, I wanted the thread to at least be useful to others viewing it in the future, so I gave the thread a useful title, and posted how to obtain the solution.

In hindsight, I should have waited a day or two before doing so, because now I feel I may have fallen for a trick. :p
It happens. At least we know if he tries to post in the future.

-Dan