Geometric series determine the first 3 terms

nineteen

For a geometric series, S4/S8=1/17. Determine the first 3 terms of the series if the first term is 3.

For a geometric series, S4/S8=1/17. Determine the first 3 terms of the series if the first term is 3.

Hint: S4 = S0 * r^4 = 3 * r^4

Note: I'm assuming S0 is the first term and S1 is the second term. That makes S4 the fifth term.

Since you are talking about a series, not just a sequence, does Sn mean the SUM of the first n terms?

Hm... perhaps I made a mistake somewhere, but I'm finding it impossible to find the answer to this question. Given only the two pieces of information in the OP: \(\displaystyle \dfrac{S_4}{S_8} = \dfrac{1}{17}\) and \(\displaystyle a_0 = 3\), I find that there are two real solutions for the common ratio r.

Hm... perhaps I made a mistake somewhere, but I'm finding it impossible to find the answer to this question. Given only the two pieces of information in the OP: \(\displaystyle \dfrac{S_4}{S_8} = \dfrac{1}{17}\) and \(\displaystyle a_0 = 3\), I find that there are two real solutions for the common ratio r.

So do I (and they do both check out). Perhaps they only allow positive terms.