name for numbers can't be resolved in equations?

David Sztybel

Hi,<br><br>I'm really sorry if this is a totally stupid question.<br><br>As far as I can tell in algebra, you could have, say, a bunch of variables with co-efficients that are equal to a number. Like 26c + 52x = 9.<br><br>Does this mean that c and x are in principle resolvable into a single number?<br><br>If not, is there a name for a type of number that CANNOT be resolved into a single number? Such as rating appreciation of an individual person? Could the rating be completely unique? Like Cathyness or Robertness for particular individuals with those names? Or must the numbers in the rating be generic and so in principle resolvable?<br><br>I don't know if this makes sense to anyone - sorry for that.<br><br>I can understand if you can't help me with my problem.<br><br>Best New Year wishes,<br><br>David

Hi,<br><br>I'm really sorry if this is a totally stupid question.<br><br>As far as I can tell in algebra, you could have, say, a bunch of variables with co-efficients that are equal to a number. Like 26c + 52x = 9.<br><br>Does this mean that c and x are in principle resolvable into a single number?<br><br>If not, is there a name for a type of number that CANNOT be resolved into a single number? Such as rating appreciation of an individual person? Could the rating be completely unique? Like Cathyness or Robertness for particular individuals with those names? Or must the numbers in the rating be generic and so in principle resolvable?<br><br>I don't know if this makes sense to anyone - sorry for that.<br><br>I can understand if you can't help me with my problem.<br><br>Best New Year wishes,<br><br>David

It is an ambiguous question.

In the world of programming, most any variable or parameter so referenced, can be a constant, a vector, an expression, or even a function that produces a value, vector, or expression - or maybe an instruction to extract a response from an active user or poll some real-time device.

As far as digitizing Cathy or Robert, you'll have to make that choice as you build your model. You may wish to ask how they feel about it.