Standard deviation query

johnuk

I am completely lost with standard dev and have to do it as part of a lean course for work. The question I have been set is probably very simple, but I want to know the workings to get to the answer:

a population has a mean of 51 and a standard deviation of 3.4. If repeated samples of 20 units are taken from this population, what is the likely standard dev of the sample means

I am completely lost with standard dev and have to do it as part of a lean course for work. The question I have been set is probably very simple, but I want to know the workings to get to the answer:

a population has a mean of 51 and a standard deviation of 3.4. If repeated samples of 20 units are taken from this population, what is the likely standard dev of the sample means

Sample size 20... Is there a square root in your denominator future?

Presumably you will have been given a formula for the standard deviation of the sample means. It involves a square root.

Please find it in your notes, try applying it, and write back, so we can give any additional help you need.