This question makes zero sense

Needhelp4math

"The flask shown is constructed from a glass sphere and cylinder. Neglecting the Thickness of the glass and assuming no loss of volume from joining the two, what is the volume of the flask, to the nearest cm^3"

My work is shown in the picture.
8e22200f4a398a326e1c40b0eb4dfbb8.jpg
0704f47bebb79674d0ad32cad1de2a0e.jpg

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

Also the answer is 7257 though if you look at my work i get a number barely over 300.

Please post a clearer picture.
ALSO, show your work AGAIN, written NEATLY:
what you're showing now is a careless mess!!

Sent from my keyboard using 2 fingers...

Please post a clearer picture.
ALSO, show your work AGAIN, written NEATLY:
what you're showing now is a careless mess!!

Sent from my keyboard using 2 fingers...
How can you not see the picture of the flask?
Height of cylinder= 30-24=16

My phone takes bad pictures, but if you cant see this then, you might need to see an optometrist.

Im pretty sure you can get a lot of info from the first pic
e6cc56e3ba8e8187c78d3936a6614e6b.jpg

"The flask shown is constructed from a glass sphere and cylinder. Neglecting the Thickness of the glass and assuming no loss of volume from joining the two, what is the volume of the flask, to the nearest cm^3"

My work is shown in the picture.
8e22200f4a398a326e1c40b0eb4dfbb8.jpg

Im pretty sure you can get a lot of info from the first pic
e6cc56e3ba8e8187c78d3936a6614e6b.jpg

Here are the problems in your work:

The height of the cylinder part is not 16 cm.

The radius of the cylinder is not 2 cm.

The radius of the sphere is not 2 cm.

What are they? Then redo the calculation.

You are telling me that I'll need to find the radius of the cylinder, the radius of the sphere and the height using specific formulas for each?

You are telling me that I'll need to find the radius of the cylinder, the radius of the sphere and the height using specific formulas for each?

Yes, of course you need to find those values to use in the formulas; but it's not hard. You already found values for them; you just used the wrong values.

You are given the DIAMETERS of the cylinder and sphere; how is the radius related to that?

And what is 30 - 24, really?

And do NOT trust your eyes. It's NOT to scale. Use the given values.

How can you not see the picture of the flask?

My phone takes bad pictures, but if you cant see this then, you might need to see an optometrist.
30 - 24 = 16 : really?

Thanks for your "optometrist" suggestion: can I use you as reference?
Thanks in advance.

Btw, the given answer of 7257 is correct.

Nobody told you that.

This is what you need to do: pay closer attention to given information, and double-check your arithmetic when looking for mistakes. :cool:

Dr Peterson provided you with a specific list of three issues.

Also, you don't need to provide blurry images of work that can be easily typed. In the forum guidelines, there's a link titled, "Formatting Math as Text". Check it out.

Here's an example of typed work:

V = Pi*r^2*h + (4/3)*Pi*r^3

Cheers

Also the answer is 7257 …
That's half the answer. ;)

A number by itself is not a measurement. All measurements have both a value and a unit.

The correct answer is 7257 cm^3

cm^3 is a common abbreviation for 'cubic centimeters'

I hate to bring this up but am I the only one that has noted that the "cylinder" on top of the sphere isn't really a cylinder? The bottom of the cylinder is not a flat piece... it's part of the surface of the sphere. I haven't done the calculation but I'm hoping that the "to the nearest cm^3" takes care of that.

-Dan

… The bottom of the cylinder is not a flat piece … I'm hoping that the "to the nearest cm^3" takes care of that.
The following instruction takes care of that that. ;)

… [assume] no loss of volume from joining the two [pieces] …

Last edited:
The following instruction takes care of that that.
I knew that. Really, I did. I, um, was ... testing you! Yeah, I was testing your reading comprehension. Yeah, that's what I was doing.

-Dan

Last edited:
I knew that. Really, I did. I, um, was ... testing you! Yeah, I was testing your reading comprehension. Yeah, that's what I was doing.

-Dan
Dan, keep telling yourself that and eventually you'll believe it.