what goes on here?

allegansveritatem

I tried to solve the following problem in two ways:

Problem:problem.PNG

I tried both the square root property solution and the quadratic formula:

solutions:my solution2.jpg

I then checked the answers with a CAS calculator. The calculator came back with the same solutions as the quadratic formula did. Now my question is: Was the square root property solution partially right? And if so, why didn't I get two solutions as I did with the quadratic formula?

Problem:View attachment 10941

solutions:View attachment 10942

I then checked the answers with a CAS calculator. The calculator came back with the same solutions as the quadratic formula did. Now my question is: Was the square root property solution partially right? And if so, why didn't I get two solutions as I did with the quadratic formula?

The "Square Root Property of Equals", which, in my opinion, is a little silly, states:

If A^2 = B^2, then A = +/-B.

You seem to have overlooked the +/- part.

Still, I see no value in this property. When would it EVER be necessary?

On first viewing your post, I thought of \(\displaystyle \sqrt{x^2}=|x|\)
I do not know what computer algebra system(CAS) you use, but look at this HERE & again HERE

Posts above have explained to you the reason you did not get two answers by equating square roots.

I would do the problem slightly differently.

(3x-8)^2 - (2x-5)^2 = 0

[(3x-8) + (2x-5)] * [(3x-8) - (2x-5)] = 0

[5x-13] * [x-3] = 0

thus we have:

5x - 13 = 0

x = 13/5

and

x - 3 =0

x = 3

So (3x-8)= (2x-5) and (3x-8)= -(2x-5)
So x=3 and 5x = 13. so x= 3 and x = 13/5

The "Square Root Property of Equals", which, in my opinion, is a little silly, states:

If A^2 = B^2, then A = +/-B.

You seem to have overlooked the +/- part.

Still, I see no value in this property. When would it EVER be necessary?

Well, No. 1, you are right, I for got the +/- dynamic of this procedure. No. 2 , I can't understand why you have so little regard for this technique in this case. I think, when done correctly, it is easier.

On first viewing your post, I thought of \(\displaystyle \sqrt{x^2}=|x|\)
I do not know what computer algebra system(CAS) you use, but look at this HERE & again HERE

I am using a Texas Instruments CAS Nspire. Thanks for the links. Interesting site. Shows the whole parade, so to speak, from problem to solution. I confess the second link flummoxed me however. I mean, how did the get that reversal, which they call "alternate form" in the second step?

Posts above have explained to you the reason you did not get two answers by equating square roots.

I would do the problem slightly differently.

(3x-8)^2 - (2x-5)^2 = 0

[(3x-8) + (2x-5)] * [(3x-8) - (2x-5)] = 0

[5x-13] * [x-3] = 0

thus we have:

5x - 13 =
x = 13/5

and

x - 3 =0

x = 3

That is a very nice procedure. I will try it out. Thanks

FYI: If you had written line 3 on a paper for me I'd take marks off. This is not a valid equation. You should make sure to write such things on different lines.

-Dan

Yes. I see that. Actually, when I did that I had a sense that something was off about it but I was in rhino mode (i.e., why think when you came ram things home without it?)and carried on anyway.

So (3x-8)= (2x-5) and (3x-8)= -(2x-5)
So x=3 and 5x = 13. so x= 3 and x = 13/5

So either (3x-8) = (2x-5) or (3x-8) = -(2x-5).

So either x = 3 or 5x = 13.

So either x = 3 or x = 13/5.

-- OR - -

So (3x-8) = (2x-5) or (3x-8) = -(2x-5).

So x = 3 or 5x = 13.

So x = 3 or x = 13/5.

Last edited:
Well, No. 1, you are right, I for got the +/- dynamic of this procedure. No. 2 , I can't understand why you have so little regard for this technique in this case. I think, when done correctly, it is easier.

It is a simple concept:
  1. Solving the quadratic equation without the magic square root naturally leads to the TWO solutions.
  2. Square Roots - One must REMEMBER to use the +/-. This is the part you forgot.

It my not be harder to be done, but it is harder to be done correctly.

And then, there's the thing about my signature. :)

I agree this method is easier IF DONE CORRECTLY. Unfortunately, from my teaching experience, it is more often than not done incorrectly (as you did at first).