Solution of a quadratic parametric equation

ryloth

I am trying to solve the attached quadratic parametric equation.
I have just simplify a bit the denominator by collecting a couple of terms, but I am stuck there.
Thank you a lot.

eqn01.large.jpg

Sorry for the low quality of the image.

Gianluca

Attachments

• eqn01.jpg
    eqn01.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 2
I have just simplify a bit the denominator by collecting a couple of terms, but I am stuck there.
Thank you a lot.

View attachment 11006

Gianluca

Are you SURE it's "Quadratic"? It certainly look's quadratic in the denominators, but does that make the whole thing "quadratic"?

What do you mean by "collect"? Factoring may be a nice direction.

\(\displaystyle \dfrac{1}{(x+2k)(x-(k+1))} = \dfrac{x}{(x+2k)(x-2k)}\)

A common denominator may help you on your way.

Note: "Parametric" usually means that there is some independent variable that controls all the other variables. It doesn't normally mean that there is a arbitrary parameter included ('k' in your example). Anyway, your question was understandable.

Thank you very much.
Indeed I am not used to math terms (I am more confident with biochemistry) and vocabulary gives not much help.

In italian those kind of equations are defined as 'equazioni di secondo ordine parametriche'.

I was eventually able to solve it.

Gianluca

Thank you a lot.

View attachment 11006

Gianluca
\(\displaystyle \displaystyle{\dfrac{1}{x^2 + (k-1)x - 2k^2 - 2k} = \dfrac{x}{x^2 - 4k^2}}\)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you very much.
Indeed I am not used to math terms (I am more confident with biochemistry) and vocabulary gives not much help.

In italian those kind of equations are defined as 'equazioni di secondo ordine parametriche'.

I was eventually able to solve it.

Gianluca

Fair enough. Thanks for sharing the translation.