Demo Access to Future FMH Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
… You can get this same level of spam prevention with vB 4.x but it requires several addons to get there. XF has all of this out of the box.
That's encouraging. The only protection we have in vBulletin here is Spam-O-Matic, and it doesn't work unless the spammer's registration information is already in the anti-spam database. Even after I manually enter spammer credentials into akismet, some of these spammers are still able to create new registrations -- using the same credentials -- weeks later.

There is other evidence that spammers can now spoof their IP address. This would also prevent Spam-O-Matic from recognizing them.

I'm able to find most of these registrations because vBulletin allows me to search profile-page field-contents (except for signature lines -- a major goof, by the developers). Otherwise, the thousands of spam registrations by fake members (each year) would require manually examining the profile page of every new member (something I used to do, when I had motivation to volunteer 15-20 hours a week doing moderator stuff).

Last edited:
Let's try that again:

fmh_xfregistration-png.1131
I tried logging in and viewing at themathhelp, but the system said I'm unauthorized.

Try hosting at imgbb.com :cool:

mmm4444bot said:
MarkFL said:
… When I spoke of visitor messages in vBulletin, it is messages registered users can post on the profiles of others …
I've never seen such an option available here …
I just checked. Maybe you're thinking of 'User Notes', in the current installation of vBulletin here.

As a moderator, I was able to add a test user-note to your profile page. That note did not display on your profile page, but there is a link for moderators to view it.

The general membership cannot see or access anything having to do with user notes. :cool:

I tried logging in and viewing at themathhelp, but the system said I'm unauthorized.

Try hosting at imgbb.com :cool:

I have attachments set to be viewable by guests, so I don't understand why you can't see it. Your account there appears to still be valid too. Hopefully when we move to XF, we will be allowed to post full sized images. ;)

I just checked. Maybe you're thinking of 'User Notes', in the current installation of vBulletin here.

As a moderator, I was able to add a test user-note to your profile page. That note did not display on your profile page, but there is a link for moderators to view it.

The general membership cannot see or access anything having to do with user notes. :cool:

No, user notes and visitor messages are two different things. Visitor messages are definitely disabled here, now that I look at my own profile.

I have attachments set to be viewable by guests, so I don't understand why you can't see it.
Is this the correct URL?

https://themathhelp.com/attachments/fmh_xfregistration-png.1131/

Is the image attached to a post? I could try the URL for that.

TMHfail.JPG

Is this the correct URL?

https://themathhelp.com/attachments/fmh_xfregistration-png.1131/

Is the image attached to a post? I could try the URL for that.

View attachment 11059

I feel like such an idiot right about now...I just realized I posted that image in a staff area at the other site. D'oh!!!

I've posted the image over on the demo site, where you can see it full size. :)

edit: apparently it is awaiting mod approval. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
… Spam-O-Matic … doesn't work unless the spammer's registration information is already in the anti-spam database. Even after I manually enter spammer credentials into akismet, some of these spammers are still able to create new registrations -- using the same credentials -- weeks later.
Or even one hour later. After being banned, this jerk in Russia simply returns and recreates the account, using the same credentials. These credentials are available in the database, immediately after I submit the report, yet during the spammer's return registration (one hour later) Spam-O-Matic doesn't seem to know this.

CLICK TO ENLARGE THUMBNAIL

Spam-O-Matic Goof 02-16-2019.JPG

Does anyone have an objection to making the transition this evening? Sunday night before a federal holiday (in the US) should be relatively quiet. I'll need to shut down both boards for a while, import everything, and then check it all out before I reopen. Theoretically everything will be seamless for the user. If it doesn't go well I'll still have the ability to flip back to the existing system.

Does anyone have an objection to making the transition this evening? Sunday night before a federal holiday (in the US) should be relatively quiet. I'll need to shut down both boards for a while, import everything, and then check it all out before I reopen. Theoretically everything will be seamless for the user. If it doesn't go well I'll still have the ability to flip back to the existing system.
No objection here......

For those that haven't seen the announcement, the system will be going down at 9PM EST for update. Cross your fingers!

Status
Not open for further replies.