problem help

Ryan$

Hi guys; I'm literally not getting the idea behind.
the problem is that I need to find the numbers of steps that we need to reach concrete/specific number, for example lets assume that I'm on offset 10(step 10) and I need to reach number 15 , how many steps needed till we reach number 15? it's 5 but why?! I mean I understand that we started at offset 10 then we jumped to 11 and jumped to 12 and jumped to 13 ..etc , what I'm not understanding is the number of jumps/steps must be lesser than 1 of the borders, secondly I don't understand how the add going , lets assume I'm a rabbit and I'm now on offset 50, how many jumps I need to jump till I reach 100? isn't it 49(I said 49 because we have (100-50) border which -1 to get the number of jumps that has been done in (50,100)? why the answer is 50(100-50) ? something going wrong with me and hope to illustrate that point of jumps, I'm getting more and more confusion! sorry about that but that's the reality.

Let's use your rabbit analogy...the rabbit begins at 50, and then makes one hop to 51. The rabbit has now been at two locations, but it only took 1 hop to do so. Suppose it then hops to 52. Now, there have been 2 hops, but 3 different locations the rabbit has occupied. Can you see that (assuming the rabbit always jumps to a number that is one higher than the previous number) the number of hops is equal to the difference between the ending number and the beginning number, and that the number of locations the rabbit occupied is ine more than that, because we have to include the initial position, which the rabbit had, before it made any hops.

Does that help?

Hi guys; I'm literally not getting the idea behind.
the problem is that I need to find the numbers of steps that we need to reach concrete/specific number, for example lets assume that I'm on offset 10(step 10) and I need to reach number 15 , how many steps needed till we reach number 15? it's 5 but why?! I mean I understand that we started at offset 10 then we jumped to 11 and jumped to 12 and jumped to 13 ..etc , what I'm not understanding is the number of jumps/steps must be lesser than 1 of the borders, secondly I don't understand how the add going , lets assume I'm a rabbit and I'm now on offset 50, how many jumps I need to jump till I reach 100? isn't it 49(I said 49 because we have (100-50) border which -1 to get the number of jumps that has been done in (50,100)? why the answer is 50(100-50) ? something going wrong with me and hope to illustrate that point of jumps, I'm getting more and more confusion! sorry about that but that's the reality.
If I am understanding consider the following.

You read a book from page 1 to (and including) page 50. You read 50 pages
You read a book from page 1 to (and including) page 63. You read 63 pages
You read a book from page 1 to (and including) page 150. You read 150 page

So we are experts in answering these question if we start reading from page 1. But what if we don't start at page 1.

Say we read from page 12 to page 50. Now I like to use what I am an expert at. I know that from page 1 to page 50 is 50 pages. Now this covers from 12 to 50 but it also includes more. So subtraction comes to mind. Well I did NOT read from page 1 to page 11. Luckily this starts at page 1 and I am the expert when it starts at 1!. So I did not read 11 of the 50 pages, that is I read 50-11 or 39 pages.

Can you think of a situation where the correct answer would be 50-12 and not 50-11?

Edit:I noticed that MarkFL responded as I was writing (how rude LOL). He gave the perfect example where the answer would be 50-12. Sometimes you do include the initial value and the end value and sometimes you don't. It is excellent that this bothers you. Now you know that you have to think about these questions carefully.

Here is one to think about. Joey turned 22 on 7/7/1997. How old was he on 7/7/2007?

Last edited:
Let's use your rabbit analogy...the rabbit begins at 50, and then makes one hop to 51. The rabbit has now been at two locations, but it only took 1 hop to do so. Suppose it then hops to 52. Now, there have been 2 hops, but 3 different locations the rabbit has occupied. Can you see that (assuming the rabbit always jumps to a number that is one higher than the previous number) the number of hops is equal to the difference between the ending number and the beginning number, and that the number of locations the rabbit occupied is ine more than that, because we have to include the initial position, which the rabbit had, before it made any hops.

Does that help?

thanks ! yup helped me

If I am understanding consider the following.

You read a book from page 1 to (and including) page 50. You read 50 pages
You read a book from page 1 to (and including) page 63. You read 63 pages
You read a book from page 1 to (and including) page 150. You read 150 page

So we are experts in answering these question if we start reading from page 1. But what if we don't start at page 1.

Say we read from page 12 to page 50. Now I like to use what I am an expert at. I know that from page 1 to page 50 is 50 pages. Now this covers from 12 to 50 but it also includes more. So subtraction comes to mind. Well I did NOT read from page 1 to page 11. Luckily this starts at page 1 and I am the expert when it starts at 1!. So I did not read 11 of the 50 pages, that is I read 50-11 or 39 pages.

Can you think of a situation where the correct answer would be 50-12 and not 50-11?

Edit:I noticed that MarkFL responded as I was writing (how rude LOL). He gave the perfect example where the answer would be 50-12. Sometimes you do include the initial value and the end value and sometimes you don't. It is excellent that this bothers you. Now you know that you have to think about these questions carefully.

Here is one to think about. Joey turned 22 on 7/7/1997. How old was he on 7/7/2007?

ur explanation straight forward, helped me very much!