Revising A Flight Plan

greatwhiteshark

In attempting to fly from Chicago to Louisville, a distance of 330 miles, a pilot inadvertently took a course that was 10 degrees in error.

a) If the aircraft maintains an average speed of 220 miles per hour and if the error in direction is discovered after 15 minutes, through what angle should the pilot turn to head toward Louisville?

b) What new average speed should the pilot maintian so that the total time of the trip is 90 minutes?

This is identical to the storm problem. We would like to think you have gotten something out of the problems. Just having someone do your homework for you is NOT what we are here for.
-------------------
Gene

Gene

I am not asking for my homework questions to be done. I simply want the know which equation or in this case, how to apply the law of cosines.
I know this question is identical to the storm word problem but in what way?

You had a course you were going to follow. You changed the direction of the first leg by a number of degrees and (flew/sailed) that direction for a number of (minutes/hours) then turned ? degrees to get to the destination.

Re: GOT IT

greatwhiteshark said:
I was able to find angle 12 degrees but cannot solve part b of this question.
This may come as a shock to you, but upon approaching such a problem I have no idea what the answer is or exactly how to proceed to solve it. I have to make it up as I go along.

It's a distance problem, asking for a rate, so my first inclination is to write down:

Distance = Rate * Time

If we know the lengths of the two trips, then:

We know the total length of the trip.
We know the time expended in the first leg.
We know the distance travelled on each leg.

First leg
d1 = r1*t1

Second leg
d2 = r2*t2

Total Trip
D = d1 + d2
T = t1 + t2

Write down some equations and see what pops out. You WON'T break it. Give it a try and show us what you get.