a question for the math gurus here

zeropoint

Hey, i just finished my junior year of high school. For my required math class i took calculus and passed. However, next year there i am unable to take a math class because it cannot fit in my schedule. I see this as a problem because i will most likely be attending clarkson university which is heavy on calculus. What i am asking is if anybody here has any tips or websites that i can use so i dont loose touch with the math i learned this year. Next year i will be taking physics, so i wont be completely devoid of calc, but i would like some supplimentary help so when i enter my freshman year of college i can be somewhat ahead of the game.

thanks alot.

ps - if anyone here is going to clarkson currently could you please tell me a bit about it?

My advice is to change your schedule!
If you plan on doing any college subject requiring mathematics, do not go a high school year without being in a mathematics class.
I tell you this because I have had nearly 40 years of teaching in and chairing a university Mathematical Sciences department.

Yikes. Why won't it fit in your schedule? Tell them you will trade Poster Art for another math class. Your application cannot look as good with the appearance of "I took a year off". Are you planning to take AP Exams? There's more than one. You will not do well after an extended vacation. Get moving on that schedule change, now! Where are your parents? They can help. Start a letter writing campaign. Exert some influence and make someone change a rule. You can't let that go.

the only math class i have left is statistics, which is 6th period (same as my AP economics and government class), however, both of these clases are only 1 period a day and at the same time. i could go to regular government and economics, but that would mean i would have to move physics to 6th period, defeating the purpose. Will physics be enough to handle the gap?

No.

No chance for an off-site class period? Local college? Depending on where you live, there may be laws that compel your school district to pay for it and provide transportation.

we live about 30-40 min from the closest college, which is too far to go in a school day for one class. I was thinking if i could drop AP gov and economics for another math class, but what would look better for this college?

Have you done AP Statistics?
Does your school have a discrete mathematics class?

As to what will “look better” when applying to college, that depends on your intended major.

AP Statistics? I didn't think of that possibility.

Does your school HAVE AP Statistics? That would be better, I suppose. But, if it's plain-old statistics, I stand by my initial reply.

no, we just started the AP program this coming year and we only have government and economics(were a tiny school). but i think what i will do is goto a regular ap gov. and economics class and do either stats or calculus again (which i would rather do)