Incinerator

mathxyz

Each of two incinerators can process a day's trash in 20 hours. Together
with a third incinerator, they process the trash in 6 hours. In what time
can the third incinerator do the job alone?

I just want someone to set up the proper equation needed to solve this question.

oh ok, so this time you want us to set it up, but not solve it, right? :D

hey

TO JOLLY:

Do you have a reading problem? Read my post very carefully and you will see that I NEVER want the answer. Okay????????????

TO DENIS:

One final question: Why did you set the equation to equal 1/6 hours instead of just 6 hours?

Yes, I have a reading problem. :roll: Seeing how pretty much every tutor here is tired of you, what screen name will you create next?

Are you going to tell Ted that 3 respected tutors were picking on you, like you did in the past? For god's sake, end this game that you've been playing!

Re: hey

mathxyz said:
One final question: Why did you set the equation to equal 1/6 hours instead of just 6 hours?
The idea is to change the units. Instead of days/job, which doesn't add directly, flipping it over creates jobs/day, which does add directly. It's a pretty neat trick.

A: 3 days/job
B: 2 days/job

Working together? 3 + 2 = 5 days/job??? That doesn't make any sense.

A: 3 jobs/day
B: 2 jobs/day

Working together? 3 + 2 = 5 jobs/day. That makes sense.

"mathxyz": Please review the additional solutions that have been provided to you on the other forums to which you have posted this exercise. Thank you.

Eliz.

Well, I was holding out hope for Mathxyz until the post that I just deleted. :(

I give. Growing up time for one particular resource drain, I guess. :roll:

stapel (Eliz), good to see that you actually exist. I was beginning to wonder. :D

tkhunny said:
stapel (Eliz), good to see that you actually exist. I was beginning to wonder.
Yeah, I had to take a break for a while....

There was one "tutor" a few months ago who insisted on posting fully-worked solutions for every single question, regardless of what the students asked for. It suddenly made no sense to try to help students learn the concepts, so what was the point of hanging around, ya know?

Eliz.