Summer Packet

Dakota120x

I have two problems and I have never learned this so if it is really hard then just tell me to leave it blank because I had a horrible Algebra 1 teacher and this is my Algebra II packet. Thanks for all your help, if anyone knows any helpful websites or anything please help me out.

Graph 3x + 4y = 8

Write the x and y intercepts in coordinate form

-Then it has a graph to draw it out in and I am so lost lol!!-

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Write the equation that represents the line that passes through the points ( 0 , -4 ) and ( 3 , 2 )

-Again, I am blonde I looked through old notes and I was left dumbfounded.-

A) Graph 3x + 4y = 8

Pick values for x, plug them into the equation, solve for the corresponding values of y, draw the (x, y) dots, and connect them into a straight line. This is your graph.

B) Write the x- and y-intercepts of 3x + 4y = 8 in coordinate form.

The intercepts are where the graph crosses the axes. To find the x-intercept, plug zero in for y and solve. To find the y-intercept, plug zero in for x and solve. The "coordinate form" is (x, y), where one of the coordinates is zero and the other one is the value you found when you solved.

C) Write the equation of the line that passes through (0, -4) and (3, 2).

Plug the points into the slope formula that you (should) have memorized. (No kidding: you'll need this a lot, so memorize it, if you haven't.) Solve for the slope m. Then pick one of your points (it doesn't matter which), and plug the x, the y, and the slope m into "y = mx + b". Solve for the y-intercept b. Then re-write the equation with the values of m and b. This is your line equation.

Eliz.