Graphing Functions

Kathleen

I am having some difficulty determining the different formulas for solving functions, eg "even and odd functions, horizontal and vertical translations and single and double translations, can anyone list these formulas for me?
Thanks so much :p

Sure we can, but why would we want to? You already have a book, I presume?

Post a specific problem, including what you have attempted, and we'll be glad to help you out.

I know where you are comming from but here is the problem, I am doing this course correspondence and the "text book" is just a binder full of loose leaf that is not laid out in any sort of systematic way, I got more out of the algebraic paragraph in the help section of this site than I did the "text book". Would you be so kind as to list them for me so I can take it from there?

Desperate

I was afraid of some of that. Did you pay too much for this course that still requires you to seek other resources? Blech!!

To the point...

Did you check out the "Math Lessons" on this site? They are over in the Right Margin, this week. They give multiple useful links for finding what you want if it is not already included in the local information.

tkhunny is correct: we really can't teach entire courses here. We can help with specific questions, but classroom instruction sort of requires a classroom. Either post requests for specific lessons ("Please provide links, if you're aware of any, for determining algebraically if a function is even, odd, or neither") or else requests for specific assistance ("I'm working on this particular exercise, and have done the following steps, but my answer, listed below, doesn't match the book's, which is [this]").

We're glad to try to help, but your request needs to fall within the parameters of what it's feasible to provide. Thank you for your consideration.

Eliz.

Thanks guys, I'll check it things out further, I am sure you'll be hearing from me soon, but heres one in the mean time.....
1)Suppose that f(x)=x^2-4. Suppose the graph g(x) is the graph on f(x), after (a) scaling the graph hrizontally and vertically by a factor of (2), then (b) shifting the graph to the right by 1 unit and lastly (c) reflecting the graph across the x-axis.

Write g(x) in therms of x.

How di I start?

You would apply the various rules for translating functions about the plane:

. . . . .* f(x) + a is f(x) shifted upward by "a" units
. . . . .* f(x) - a is f(x) shifted downward by "a" units
. . . . .* f(x + a) is f(x) shifted "a" units to the left
. . . . .* f(x - a) is f(x) shifted "a" units to the right
. . . . .* af(x) is f(x) "stretched" or "compressed" vertically by "a" units
. . . . .* f(ax) is f(x) "stretched" or "compressed" horizontally by "a" units

It would probably help if you started with one of the easier exercises in the section; what you have posted is about as complex as these exercises get, in my experience, and is not the level at which you want to start.

Eliz.

I am so greatful, the link to purple math is a lifesaver, unfortunately this is the first question in my exercises, i guess you all will be hearing from me again. Thanks Thanks :shock: :shock: :shock:

Kathleen said:
i guess you all will be hearing from me again.
Not a prob; we're glad to help. Just try to be specific with what you need, so we know how to help. Thanks!

Eliz.