Physics... yay

snugglebunni

I just stumbled across this problem during my physics homework and I'm not sure I understand the concept. I'd appreciate if someone could help.
:wink:

A car is being pulled out of the mud by two forces and are bisected by a 30 degree angle. The magnitude of the force applied by each rope is 2900 Newtons. Arrange the force vectors tail to head and use the graphical technique to answer the following questions: a) How much force would a single rope need to apply to accomplish the same effect as the two forces added together? b) How would the single rope be directed relative to the bisecting line?

ehhh... I hope someone else understands this... :oops:

I would think that, because the forces on each rope are equivalent, that bisecting the 30 degree angle with one single rope at 15° would put it in the necessary relative position to the two other ropes.

I think I know what the graphical method is that they are referring to…

What you are going to have to do is add vectors and find the resultant line.

Vector_Addition.png

It would have been easier if they had made it simply a horizontal and vertical motion, but it boils down to geometry.

I read it a little differently.
two forces and are bisected by a 30 degree angle.
I would interpret as the ropes meeting at a 60° angle, not 30. It would appear simpler if you rotate the diagram by 30° (15°?) so the blue line is horizontal.
-----------------
Gene