Can someone help me figure this out, please. Thanks.

mrcutty

You interviewed an employee of an association representing the tire industry. The federal government mandates safety testing of all tires manufactured in the United States. Recently there has been concern that the rubber used in the tires could deteriorate while in store inventories. In September 2003, a safety group asked the U.S. government to require expiration dates for tires. Representatives for the manufacturing industry test the tires, collect data and create graphs of functions to test tire durability. As part of the interviewing process, you try to solve the following problems.

Two cars with new tires are driven at an average speed of 60 mph for a test drive of 2000 miles. The diameter of the wheels of one car is 15 inches. The diameter of the wheels of the other car is 16 inches. If the tires are equally durable and differ only by diameter, which car will probably need new tires first? Why?
Explain why tan(x + 450 degrees) cannot be simplified using the tangent sum formulas, but can be simplified by using the sine and cosine formulas.
What is the difference between a trig equation that is an identity and a trig equation that is not an identity? Provide an example to clarify. Thanks for you help.

Again, why are these in the calculus section?

What is tan(450º)?

Again, why are these in the calculus section?

What is tan(450º)?

Sorry its in the wrong section, if you don't understand it, please move on. Your attenpt to embarrass me will result in embarrassing yourself. Thank you..

I always wonder why people CHOOSE to take personally things that are intended as EXACTLY what was requested. You asked for help and I used my best judgment to give you the help it appears you need. You don't know me very well if you think I can be embarrassed. I'm always in trouble, anyway. :)

So, let's get to work. The very first thing you need is a little direction on HOW to post.

-- Putting things in the right section is a good way to start.
-- Copying lengthy problems is not a good way to start.
-- Taking advice and counsel (rather than choosing to be insulted) from those from whom you have requested it is a good way to start.
-- Presenting problems without any indication of what you have attempted is not a good way to start.

Where does that leave us?

mrcutty said:
...if you don't understand it, please move on. Your attenpt to embarrass me will result in embarrassing yourself.
Oy. Sounds like a certain somebody has set up another alias account.

Eliz.

stapel said:
mrcutty said:
...if you don't understand it, please move on. Your attenpt to embarrass me will result in embarrassing yourself.
My thoughts exactly.

mrcutty = mathxyz = Janet = etc.

I always wonder why people CHOOSE to take personally things that are intended as EXACTLY what was requested. You asked for help and I used my best judgment to give you the help it appears you need. You don't know me very well if you think I can be embarrassed. I'm always in trouble, anyway. :)

So, let's get to work. The very first thing you need is a little direction on HOW to post.

-- Putting things in the right section is a good way to start.
-- Copying lengthy problems is not a good way to start.
-- Taking advice and counsel (rather than choosing to be insulted) from those from whom you have requested it is a good way to start.
-- Presenting problems without any indication of what you have attempted is not a good way to start.

I have tryed to explain to you what is going on, now let me try one more time. I have been away from school and math for over 20 years, that mean. What that means; I don't have a clue what I am doing! I am not asking you to do my work for me, what I am looking for is guidance, a point to start.

If you took to time to read my last comment you would have figured that out. Now agian I must ask you, if you have the ability to help me, great. This is both a waste of time for me and you if we keep going back and forth because you enjoy your own voice. Have a great day and thank you.

mrcutty said:

Eliz.

Please read my posting from earlier. I have no need to open an alias account. I was looking for help not answers. Thank you...

stapel said:
mrcutty said:

Eliz.

Please read my posting from earlier. I have no need to open an alias account. I was looking for help not answers. Thank you...

By the way Eliz thanks for you help, got me to think a little and was able to complete my assignment. Thank you!

mrcutty said:
I don't have a clue what I am doing!
If this statement is at all accurate, then we cannot "help" you, since we cannot teach you the courses you need in order to "get a clue" about how to approach the many exercises you have posted. I would suggest that you back up in your studies and start with lower-level courses, or else hire a tutor, local to your area, with whom you can work face-to-face for a few hours every week. Because, if you really "don't have a clue" about any of these very many questions, your needs are well beyond what can practically be provided in this sort of an environment.

Eliz.

I took the time to read your post or I would not have known how to respond. Try to relax and just talk to me. We can either help you or we can conclude with some surety that we cannot help you. Either way, we can help you avoid ambiguity. Really, if you're headed in the wrong direction, it is a waste of YOUR time and energy. Neither of us is interested in that.

If you TRULY have no clue how to proceed, you are most likely in the wrong course and you need to back up a bit. You should not be totally in the dark. That is a very bad sign. You should start with MUCH simpler problems, perhaps just algebraic manipulations, just to get used to the idea.

Why have you selected the text from which you are quoting? Are you TOTALLY on your own or have you SOME guidance? A tutor? A teacher? A curriculum from somewhere? Anything?

What are your present requirements? Have you paid for a course and materials and absolutely cannot back out or have you still an option or two. Is there a deadline?

What are your goals for this pursuit? Finish high school? Upgrade job skills? College or technical school requirements? Satisfy a worthwhile interest?

stapel said:
mrcutty said:
My thoughts exactly.

mrcutty = mathxyz = Janet = etc.

Matt,

Good morning, I don't know "Janet" or have I read anything she have posted. By the way "Mrcutty"= MR. Why is everyone on this board so quick to think the worst of people? You all have the knowledge I am not trying to get one person anybody to share it. I don't want the answers, it does me no good, I want someone to show me the sets required to get the answers for myself. "DOES ANYONE UNDERSTAND THAT" Thank you..

mathxyz-janet = mrcutty.

Yes, I'm pretty sure we get it.

So, can we get to work or can we back up or what other options are there?

I took the time to read your post or I would not have known how to respond. Try to relax and just talk to me. We can either help you or we can conclude with some surety that we cannot help you. Either way, we can help you avoid ambiguity. Really, if you're headed in the wrong direction, it is a waste of YOUR time and energy. Neither of us is interested in that.

If you TRULY have no clue how to proceed, you are most likely in the wrong course and you need to back up a bit. You should not be totally in the dark. That is a very bad sign. You should start with MUCH simpler problems, perhaps just algebraic manipulations, just to get used to the idea.

Why have you selected the text from which you are quoting? Are you TOTALLY on your own or have you SOME guidance? A tutor? A teacher? A curriculum from somewhere? Anything?

What are your present requirements? Have you paid for a course and materials and absolutely cannot back out or have you still an option or two. Is there a deadline?

What are your goals for this pursuit? Finish high school? Upgrade job skills? College or technical school requirements? Satisfy a worthwhile interest?

It is a college class and requirement, it started out I had the basis understanding, then it took off without me. I do have a teacher and have been seaching for a tutor. And no, I can't back out of the course too late.

I do wish I could back up, but at this point that is not an option. Thank you.

mrcutty said:
I do wish I could back up, but at this point that is not an option.
Then I would suggest hiring a tutor, because you have a couple years' worth of math to cover in a very short time. Good luck.

Eliz.

Swell. That sounds like an uncomfortable situation. We would like to help, but we're really not designed to play catch-up.

1) Let's get out of the calculus section. Feel free to post specific problems, but ALWAYS include what work or thoughts you are able to contribute. We ALL find it very discouraging to have as our ONLY clue a phrase like, "I don't even know where to start." We can't help with panic.
2) DO NOT rely on us to replace a tutor. Keep looking. Maybe step it up a little.
3) Express your concerns and frustrations with your teacher. If you have had appropriate prerequisites, maybe they need to re-evaluate their placement exam! Perhaps the regular staff can suggest other available resources. Many universities have a Math Lab or some other facility where students can just go study and raise their hand when they get stuck.

Please take this as encouragement. :)

Swell. That sounds like an uncomfortable situation. We would like to help, but we're really not designed to play catch-up.

1) Let's get out of the calculus section. Feel free to post specific problems, but ALWAYS include what work or thoughts you are able to contribute. We ALL find it very discouraging to have as our ONLY clue a phrase like, "I don't even know where to start." We can't help with panic.
2) DO NOT rely on us to replace a tutor. Keep looking. Maybe step it up a little.
3) Express your concerns and frustrations with your teacher. If you have had appropriate prerequisites, maybe they need to re-evaluate their placement exam! Perhaps the regular staff can suggest other available resources. Many universities have a Math Lab or some other facility where students can just go study and raise their hand when they get stuck.

Please take this as encouragement. :)

My classes are online makes it difficult to do one on one with instructor. As I stated earlier I am looking for a tutor. Thanks for your encouragement.

mrcutty said:
I am looking for a tutor.
There's tutoring, and then there's tutoring.

We can help with specific points of difficulty on specific questions, things along the lines of "I've gotten this far on this exercise, but can't figure out the next step" or "I did the problem this way, and my answer doesn't match the back of the book; where is my mistake?"

On the other hand, it appears that you're in calculus and need to learn algebra and trigonometry, and possibly geometry. You need about three years of high-school math before you can get into the content of the course you're currently taking. This is much more intensive assistance than we can offer here.

Sorry.

Eliz.