Intermediate Algebra

darkbrowngirl

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just started Intermediate Algebra yesterday was my first class. I am so confused when I have to Solve & Check. Grouping gives me problems, because when I am almost finish It is wrong or somewhere in between I get lost.

This Problem I've done about 10 times and I keep making a mistake somewhere.

9x + 3 = 5x -9

I start by grouping my like terms

9x 5x
- 5x - 5x

4x +3 = -9

+3 -9
- 3 +3

4x = -6

I'm stuck in stupid at this point, and not even sure if I did the equation right. :cry:

Aren't you supposed to do the same thing to both sides? So why are you adding three on one side and subtracting three on the other? :wink:

Eliz.

Since you're trying to undo whatever has been done to the variable (in order to get it by itself), do the opposite.

Eliz.

Im not sure what is going on

This is my last math in College, how I got this far I don't know. All I know is that I want to pass my class and I feel like the only lost person there. They even gave us a fx-55 calculator that I haven't quite mastered.

I know the answer

That's not good enough, I want to see an example of how the problem is done and where I am making my mistake.

Re: I know the answer

darkbrowngirl said:
I want to see an example of how the problem is done....
Certainly. Lessons containing worked examples are available at this site, as well as many others.

Returning to your specific exercise, the opposite of addition would be subtraction. So how would you get rid of "+3"?

Eliz.

Hello, darkbrowngirl!

I'm puzzled . . .
You're in Algebra 2 . . . and you can't solve these equations?

I suggest you work the problem in an orderly way . . . don't do piecework.

As usual, we perform the same operation on both sides of the equation.

. . . . . . . . . . . .9x + 3 . = . 5x -9
Subtract 5x: . -5x . . . . . . -5x

And we get: . . 4x + 3 . = . -9
Subtract 3: . . . . . . -3 . . . .-3

And we get: . . . . . 4x . = .-12

Divide by 4: . . . . . . x . = .-3

Your Question

The reason I have this Intermediate Math is because in school they gave me already, basic math, introduction to algebra I. II. and I passed both. So when they gave me that entrance math test I passed it just by looking and picking. So they placed me in a credit class.

It's not really a math I need, but one that they gave me. I will be back for more help, and I will take advantage of the school Math Lab, and Math Tutors.