Please help ASAP

drain

hi i need some help with this problem i am solving for x but i dont no where to begin we haven't went over division yet

13+2x/4x+1=3/4

Please help i am so confused[/i]

Your formatting is ambiguous. Do you mean:

. . . . .13 + (2x/4x) + 1 = 3/4

...or, more likely, do you mean:

. . . . .(13 + 2x)/(4x + 1) = 3/4

...or something else?

You say that your class hasn't covered "division" yet, but this isn't a "division" problem, as near as I can tell. It appears to be a "solving" problem. Have you covered ratios and proportions yet?

Thank you.

Eliz.

<alert type="grammar">
. ."Haven't gone".
</alert>

Is this better

13 + 2x
______ = 3/4
4x+1

and no we have not gone over proportions or ratios yet he just told us to solve for x

Well, if you haven't learned how to cross-multiply to solve proportions, I'm not sure how he is expecting you to proceed.

On an intuitive level, though, since you've learned how to solve linear equations, you've seen how to "clear the denominators" by multiplying through by whatever those denominators are. So what happens, in this case, if you multiply through both sides by "4" and by "4x + 1"?

Eliz.

so then i would get

4x+1 * 13 +2x = 12???

im so confused or do i still have (4x+1) on the bottom
and so i multiply 3/4 *4 to get 12??

drain said:
so then i would get 4x+1 * 13 +2x = 12?
I said "multiply through by the denominators", not "arbitrarily turn the denominators into numerators".

If you had "x/4 = 5", what you would do? Would you turn it into "4x = 5", or would you multiply through by 4 to get "x = 20"?

Eliz.