Just a thought.

paperangel

This isn't an extremely important anything, I have just been pondering it lately.

When you are working with functions, say: f(x) = x²
and you move it over to the right 3 places the fuction changes to:
f(x-3)=(x-3)².

It seems that it would make more sense if you would move it to the left because of the negative instead of to the right, but maybe I'm just missing something that is right in front of me. *shrug* It wouldn't be the first time. :roll: :lol:

I like math, I just wish I understood more of "why" certian things happen. Like, why is f(x-3)=(x-3)² instead of f(x+3)=(x+3)² to move it to the right on a graph?

No response is really needed, this just seems like this would be the place to put thoughts on math. Most other people don't appreciate them as much as you all. :wink:

I know it "makes sense", which is why so many of us (yes, me included) get it wrong at first. :oops: :wink:

The way I could get it to work was to think like this:

"Okay, when I had f(x) = x<sup>2</sup>, the vertex was at x = 0. This means that g(x) = (x - 3)<sup>2</sup> will have its vertex when x - 3 equals zero. Since x - 3 = 0 for x = 3, then this means the graph is moved over three units to the right, not the left."

Hope that helps a little.

Eliz.

Yeah. That kind of makes sense. It is just a facinating thing to me.

Understanding will hit me full force one of these days and I probably won't be able to function for weeks from the complete awe. :shock:

Or at least I'll stop moving for a few seconds... . Ha, ha.