help with congruent triangles

jennsunn

Please I need help with my homework...
The first one I need help with is:

1. Prove that, if two triangles ABC and RST are congruent to the same triangle XYZ, then they are congruent to each other.

2. Two paralle lines are cut by a transversal. Find the measures of the angles if a pair of interior angles on the same side of the transversal:
a) are represented by (5x-32)degrees and (x+8)degrees.
b) Hev measures such that one angle is 4 times the measure of the other.

1) Do you have a property, axiom, theorem, or rule that says something along the lines of "If a = b and b = c, then a = c"? If so, I would suggest using that.

2) Draw the parallel lines and the transversal. What do you know about the angle-sum of the angles between the parallels and on the one side of the transversal?

a) Sum the two given expressions, and set equal to the known angle-sum.

b) I'm sorry, but I can't figure out what "Hev measures" means. But if one of the angles has measure "x", and the other has measure "4x", you can follow the same process as in (a).

Eliz.

1.No I do not.
2. Have measures...

I am so bad at geometry. Thanks for your help. I think I need further help though if you dont mind...8O)

1) If you don't have any transitivity property in whatever non-Euclidean geometry you're working in, then I'm afraid I don't know how you're supposed to proceed. Sorry.

2) All angles have measures. What do you know about the angle-sum of this particular type of angles? (This should have been proved earlier, since the result is required to compute the solution to this exercise.)

Eliz.

OK,
#2 Postulate 11 states If two parallel lines are cut by a transversal, then the corresponding angles are congruent. Congruent would mean that they are equal measure.
But I still dont understand.

As far as # 1, The transitive property in my text states that If aRb and bRc, thenaRc. (If <1 is congruent to <2 and <2 is congruent to <3; congruence of angles has a transiitive property)help!![/i]

1) So you do have a transitivity property. Use that to compare the corresponding parts of the three triangles.

2) You should also have a result about the angle-sum of a linear pair, and you can use this to find the angle-sum of the pair of angles under consideration.

Eliz.

THANKS, I AM GOING TO WORK ON THIS FOR A WHILE, ILL BE BACK ON IN ALITTLE. I WILL LET YOU KNOW IF I NEED MORE HELP. THANKS ELIZ!!!! :lol: :lol: WILL YOU BE AVAILABLE IN AN HALF HOUR OR SO?

Dunno. I've got an errand to run, but I should be back after that. The only duty that might intrude is re-gelling my kid's head. It's "Crazy Hair Night" at his club meeting today, so he asked for a mohawk which is now dyed green and purple. :shock:

See ya later! :wink:

Eliz.