Solving real-life problems using slope-intercept form

KPbball12

OK im in the ALGEBRA 1 McDougal Littel book and im on lesson 4.6 ; on page 246 theres a problem #66 and i dont understand it at all!! the first information says:
"You are supervising the construction of a roller coaster for young children. For the first 20 feet of horizontal distance, the track must rise off the ground at a constant rate. After your crew has constructed 5 feet of horizontal distance, the track is 1 foot off the ground."

the problem #66 says:
"Plot points for the heights pf the track at 5-foot intervals. Draw a line through the points. Find the slope of the line. What does the slope represent?"

i understand slope intersept from y=mx +b. but i dont know how to get a starting equation! can someone help??? :(

do you know how to get your graph started? If you don't then I can help, and this will give you everything you need. :idea:

no im not really sure how to get started, so if you could help that would be great! :wink:

If you need 20 feet of horizontal distance and for every 5 feet it raises 1 foot off the ground, then by 20 feet it would be 4 feet off the ground. Your graph will go by 5's on the x- axis ( 5,10,15,20) and by one's on the y- axis ( 1,2,3,4) and then you will plot the points.
They are (5,1) (10,2) (15,3) and (20,4). Then you will draw a line to connect them.

I got you started, but if you need help with the slope, just tell me. 8-) :)

wow thanks! i cant believe i didnt think of that myself :roll: . i guess i could use some help with the slope.. how do u make the equation? i know its y=mx+b .. but what would it be.

KPbball12 said:
i could use some help with the slope.
You've been given the points. Now pick two of them, and plug them into the "slope" formula you learned in class. Simplify to find the value of the slope "m".

Eliz.

ohh! lol i guess i was just thinking way to hard. wow thank you guys so much! you really helped me. hopefully ill be able to return the favor sometime 8-)