sorry to be a pain, please check

While I have carefully read this ongoing thread, I have stayed out of it because the instructor’s clearly thinks the denominators should be 6! So to correct that mistake may mean that you lose valuable points on this project. You will have to decide for yourself which way to go.
But “deep in Gene’s heart” is the correct answer!
For a little history on this see: http://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9767.
It does indeed depend upon the total possible games even if they not played.

Melissa, you yourself wrote “I multiply the branches on a tree diagram it gives me different results.” Because the teams are evenly matched, no one can deny that the probability that Comets will win the first two is (1/4). How does the six square with that? Now consider the question: “The probability that one of the team wins 2 straight games is 2/6” Does that mean ‘win the first two’ or ‘any two straight’? The probability that the first two matches will be won be the same team is (1/4)+(1/4)=(1/2), right? [P(CC or BB)=P(CC)+P(BB) because they are disjoint.] Again where is the six? Look at Eliz’s first response: “Possible outcomes: BBB, BBC, BCB, BCC, CBB, CBC, CCB, and CCC. Of these, only BBB, BBC, CCB, and CCC include the first two are won by the same team.” That agrees with the (1/2).

Again, instructor’s clearly thinks the denominators should be 6!
But Eliz’s first response and Gene’s ‘deep-heart’ are correct!
You will have to decide for yourself which way to go.
If it makes any difference, I have taught this for twenty-five years.

PKA,
Thank you for the feedback. After much consideration and feedback I have to agree with Gene and Eliz as well. It is the way it works out on the tree and its what I feel right with. If my instructor feels otherwise.... I guess he and myself will be up for a great debate. My boyfriends cousin was a math major and is a teacher, she agrees with you guys as well :D . I will post Tuesday night how I did for anyone who is curious what my instructor thinks lol.

Thanks to all who helped,
Melissa

Melissa79 said:
I just wanted to thank you Gene for all your help it has been appreciated, believe me. I did write a private message to Staple asking her to look over everything. Hopefully she will. It's funny I work part time at an elementry school. I asked a few of the teachers about this problem and they were not sure if it was over 6 or 8 lol. The vice principal of the school is going to look over it and tell me what he thinks Monday. I guess I am analyzing this to death. I have a low B in my statistics class right now so this project may make or break my grade for the semester. Any other feedback will be appreciated. If I do well I will be sure to thank again.

Sounds like it. I dont think she's in highschool.