Not help...

G

This isn't really a typical "math" problem, but I figured that most people here are interested in math and might be able to point me in the right direction.

In a recent lecture, the lecturer showed us the Mobius Strip, I was utterly impressed due to never coming across it until then; so my problem is trivial.
You all know the wrist bands that people are wearing, Anti-Racism, Anti-Bullying, etc, I was wondering if anyone knows where I could get my hands on a 'Mobius Strip' band?! You see, that's how impressed I was by it; sad eh? :lol:

Anyone other topological wonders like this? I know about the Klein Bottle, but nothing else of major interest...

Cut a rectangular piece of paper about 2in x 10 in.
We are going to put the ends together as if to make a ring.
BUT twist the one end before gluing it to the other end.
If done correctly you have yourself a Mobius Strip.

Oh, I know what you mean now! I've seen a sculpture of that at a museum!!! That's awesome!

It's raining out and I am playing with paper; I feel like I'm 8 years old again.

But how exactly do I "twist the paper strip 180deg, join opposite corners together and tape"?

I'll be testing my paper darts out in the meantime. . .

Opposite edge to opposite edge: 180° twist.
Then the strip has but one edge and one side

Come now.

Cut a long strip.

Roll it up like you are making a paper chain, just connecting the ends farthest away from each other.

Instead of gluing like that, flip one end over so that the former inside of that end is now the outside of that end. Do NOT unroll your first move. (Hint: It's orthogonal to your first roll.)

If you use paper with two different colored sides it's pretty obvious.

I ALMOST talked a 12-year-old into following my description. You may be on your own. :cry:

Take a long skinny strip of paper. Draw smiley-faces on either end, facing out past the ends of the strip.

Form a loop with the strip, with the smilies on the outside. With the two ends on top, turn one end over so the smilies are "kissing". Tape or staple together.

Eliz.

P.S. No extra points for describing other pictures.... :oops: :twisted:

Thanks guys; I've made a wristband one as well now.

I can't wait to see her face come Xmas.

(It's the thought that counts, right?)

Here's a challange, if you have a spare. Think about what you will end up with, then cut through the middle all the way around the loop. See if you were right :evil:
-------------------
Gene

But paper ones aren't as good, they break too easy (especially in the rain), are there no companies the make rubber ones?
You could use leather, it's been suggested if you use a piece of thin leather 8" long, you can twist the mobius strip into a figure of eight and use it as a scarf ring thingy; like this:

mobius.jpg

But I still want a rubber one...
Coming to think of it do you think you could cut and twist a plain rubber wrist band? Then melt it back together in the mobius shape? Or would you kill yourself from the fumes? Hmmmm :mrgreen:

You get another mobius strip :shock:
But when I cut down the centre a second time, i just get 2 mobius strips interlocked... I think I did it wrong...

Hehe
My college wrist band snapped, so I got hold of my superglue and staples and made a mobius wrist band... hehe...

Awesome, so it worked out anyway! AND nobody died!! Can't beat that, eh? lol

Some variations . . .

[1] Before gluing/stapling the ends, give one end a <u>full</u> twist (360°).
. . . Now cut it "down the middle". *

[2] Cut the Moebius strip one-third of way across.
Code:
      |   :       |
          ↑
      cut here

* . I saw a magician use these for a trick.

He had three rings made of newspaper.
. . One was "normal", one had a half-twist, the third had a full-twist.
. . They about 6 inches wide and maybe three feet long.
. . The "middle line" was clearly marked in red.
. . They already had starting-slits, circled in blue.

He invited two children to the stage to have a "race".
. . The winner would get a lollipop.

They were to cut their paper rings into two separate rings
. . and he demonstrated this with one of the rings.
Then he gave each child a paper ring and pair of safety scissors.

He had the audience shout "Ready ... set ... go!" and they were off.

You know the punchline . . . both children failed to get two separate rings.
. . Of course, he gave both children a lollipop ... an "A" for effort.

lol, that's a neat story. DId you actually see that happen or just hear about it. That sounds neat.

I actually saw it.
I was about 10 at the time and thought it was real magic.

soroban said:
I actually saw it.
I was about 10 at the time and thought it was real magic.
Isn't it amazing what we fell for when we were young?

Isn't it embarassing what we still sometimes fall for? :shock: :oops: :wink:

Eliz.