Making Predictions

G

The Uptown Athletic club wants to gather information about the perferences of their members.One day, they asked 40 members to complete a survey after their workouts.

The first question:
Are you a male or a female?

Results:
28 male,12 female

The Uptown Athletic Club currently has 870 members.Predict the number of members who would fit the categories below. Use the probability based on the survey above.

1. Are male___________

the answer I came up with is 54.Please tell me if this is correct?

Please and Thank-You

bowier4

The Uptown Athletic club wants to gather information about the perferences of their members.One day, they asked 40 members to complete a survey after their workouts.

The first question:
Are you a male or a female?

Results:
28 male,12 female

The Uptown Athletic Club currently has 870 members.Predict the number of members who would fit the categories below. Use the probability based on the survey above.

1. Are male___________

Ask yourself what a reasonable answer should be. The results of the poll indicate a larger number of males than females. That would indicate that over half of the 870 members should be male. Set up a ratio equation:

28/40 = x/870

Does this make sense?

Hello, Bowier4!

The Uptown Athletic club wants to gather information about the perferences of their members.
One day, they asked 40 members to complete a survey after their workouts.

The first question: "Are you a male or a female?"
Results: 28 male,12 female

The Uptown Athletic Club currently has 870 members.
Predict the number of members who would fit the categories below.
Use the probability based on the survey above.

1. Are male: ____

The answer I came up with is 54.
Please tell me if this is correct? . . . sorry, no \(\displaystyle \;\) (How did you get it?)
Of the 40 members surveyed, 28 were male: \(\displaystyle \,\frac{28}{40}\,=\,0.7\,=\,70\%\) male.
\(\displaystyle \;\;\)Hence, we might expect the membership to be 70% male.

With 870 members, we would expect: \(\displaystyle \,70\%\,\times\,870\:=\:609\) males.