How fast was car1 travelling?

G

Hi all, Im a real math newb but need a a little help if possible -

Scenario:

Two cars: One pulls out in front of the other.
Car 1 travelling at about 50km/h in a straight line.
Car 2 travelling at about 15 km/h in a straight line that pulls out in front of car 1.

Basically car1 and car2 are quite similar in size and the weight is 1470Kg each.
Car1 has the right of way travelling in a straight line and car2 was travelling about 15Km/h and came right out in front of car1 - Car1 hit the Car2's two side doors and was travelling at about 50Km/h (Thats what I need to know - how fast exactly?). The car2 was shunted about 5 metres in the direction car1 was travelling.

Could someone please help with the equation to prove how fast car1 was travelling by how far the car was shunted sideways?

Desperate - -

Thanks in advance

This exercise was given to you in an elementary-school arithmetic class? It sounds more like a physics exercise. What formulae did they give you to work with? (We'll need the coefficient of friction, etc, also.)

Thank you.

Eliz.

Sorry i was hoping someone might be able to inform me of the formula as this is not a school exercise - -

How could I work out the friction?

Puzzled said:
This is not a school exercise
I'm sorry, but this is a math tutoring web site, not an accident reconstruction service. You might want to try your local Yellow Pages, or hire an accident lawyer, to obtain the sort of information you seek.

Puzzled said:
How could I work out the friction?
Get information on that stretch of road, the material it is made from, the humidity that day, the temperature, the sun exposure, the sorts of tires on either vehicle, their condition (tread wear and inflation), the weights of the vehicles, the types of brakes, the acceleration vectors, the skid-mark analysis.... There are probably other considerations as well. A trained professional would be able to answer your questions. The average math teacher, I'm afraid, is not much exerienced in this area.

Eliz.