difficulty of math courses

letsgetaway

I'm switching my major from Biology to Computer Science. The CS degree is a BS only with two options: Science or Accounting option. I plan to do the science option, but it requires a minor in math. Therefore I have to take math for the next few years. lol I don't want to even think about how many I have left. I just want to get it over with. :) But my question is, of the following classes, if you have taken one or several of them, which ones do you rank as easy, intermediate, and difficult? I'm not a math genius myself. But if I don't have to cram stuff (which I'll never take a summer math again) I usually come out of every math class with a B or better. I am good at self-teaching. Precalculus at the moment is the highest level of math I've completed.

These are the following courses I have to complete. I've tried looking at the library and going through some math books. The library in my town is small so the topics were limited to statistics/probability, calculus I, precalculus, and elementary algebra.

---------
Courses
---------

Calculus 1
Calculus 2
Calculus 3
Linear Algebra
Discrete Math
Probability
Statistics

I'd love to hear anyone's opinion on these courses. Thanks y'all!

:D

By the way, since every university varies classes like math, here's the math course catalog for my school: http://www.uh.edu/academics/catalog/nsm/math_courses.html

Another CS major aboard, eh? I'm majoring in CS as well (and math) and have taken all but one of those classes--they go by quick, believe me.

Here is how I found the difficulty of these classes from least to most difficult (keep in mind it is assumed you take them in the order you listed):

Statistics - Mostly memorization, but a bit of work
Calculus 1 - Memorization/Some application--Its a new idea to many, so it takes getting used to.
Discrete Math - A little different than what you're used to (not only real numbers anymore!). Shouldn't be too bad.
Linear Algebra - A lot of application/projects/work. Several new ideas to learn.
Calculus 3 - Basic multivariable calculus, many topics to cover. Some of what you learned in Linear Algebra.
Calculus 2 - A LOT of topics covered, a lot of reading and homework may be needed here. Make sure you know ALL Calc. 1 material very well.

I'm taking an upper-level Probability class this semester. Anywho, its important to CS majors to expecially focus on theory mathematics. Discrete math will probably be your first Analysis-like course, and then you'll likely take a Modern Algebra course a little later. It will be necessary to prove things in later CS courses (Algorithms a big one), so get your proof structure to a T. Good luck in your studies!

-Daon

Thanks for the insight on these courses. I'm taking Calculus I right now. I don't have a opinion of it yet since last week was my first week in the class. I'm going to pass it for sure. I didn't say I wouldn't come close to losing my mind first. LOL j/k :lol: