Math: The average quiz score is 85%. Nine quizzes have....

RENEE

The average quiz score is 85%. Nine quizzes have been completed for the marking period. When putting the scores in order from least to greatest, the middle score is 80%. The most current score is 75%. The lowest and highest scores have a difference of 30 points.

What are the scores for the marking period?

As it stands, I don't see how this exercise could have a unique solution. Is there any additional information? Or are you allowed to give any answer you can justify mathematically?

Thank you.

Eliz.

This is all the information that is provided....I have been stuck with nowhere to turn on this one. Thanks

If that's all they gave you, then there is no unique answer (especially if any of the quizzes had extra credit available, so the top score might have been more than 100%).

If I were you, I'd start my solution with "Assuming there was no extra credit...", and then show two or more solutions that fulfill the stated requirements. That way, you'll have shown that you can do the math, and also justified your "no unique answer" final solution.

Eliz.

Re: Math: The average quiz score is 85%. Nine quizzes have..

RENEE said:
The average quiz score is 85%. Nine quizzes have been completed for the marking period. When putting the scores in order from least to greatest, the middle score is 80%. The most current score is 75%. The lowest and highest scores have a difference of 30 points.

What are the scores for the marking period?

Pick a low; 70; then high = 100:
70 75 80 100 : add 5 numbers, 2 left of 80, 3 right of 80, > 70 and < 100

70 75 77 79 80 90 96 98 100 : average = 85 (and 80 is smack in the middle!)

As you can see, lots of possibilities....