Problem with Amortizing a Mortgage

redranger7018

Hello, I hope that someone can me help with this. I’m now in my computer programming class and I’m trying to make a program that will amortize monthly payments for a mortgage. Now I’m not having any problems with the programming part, but I am having problems with the mathematical formulas that allows’ me to figure out what a monthly payment would be. Ok here we go then.

If you have a mortgage of $100.00 at a 5.0% for 1 year, or 12 months, what would the monthly payment be?

Now while doing some internet research I found a formula that is for MS-Excel that uses the PMT Function. The PMT Formula is as follows: =-PMT (B2/12,B3*12,B1), ok in an excel work sheet we have this.

In column A: (text only)
Principal
Interest Rate
Term in Years
Monthly Payment
New Balance

In column B:
$100.00
5.0%
1.0, or 12.0 months
$8.56
$91.44

With =-PMT (B2/12,B3*12,B1), this is the formula in cell B4. Now I know that the formula is correct, but when I try to work out the mathematics’ I get a 0.19 cent discrepancy. Ok here is what I mean.

Step one; divide the principal by the term (in months) that is:
$100.00 / 12.0 = $8.33 this the monthly payment with out the interest added

Step two: add the interest rate to the principal that is:
$100.00 + 5.0% = $105.00, so then the total interest is $5.00

Step three: divide the interest by the term or 12 that is:
$5.00 / 12.0 = $0.42, this is the monthly interest for the first payment and the monthly interest is adjusted for each monthly payment

Step four: add the monthly interest to the monthly payment
$8.33 + $0.42 = $8.75

The above excel formula works out the monthly payment of $8.56 which is the correct amount, but I’m coming up with a different monthly payment of $8.75 in my calculations. This is a $0.19 cent difference. I think the problem is with calculating the monthly interest, but I have no idea what I’m doing wrong. Also I can’t see where in the ms-excel formula what is being subtracted from the interest. Is there anyone that can help? Also a complete amortize table with the above amounts can be seen at:
http://www.hsh.com

Where in heck did you get your "steps" from? Completely wrong steps.
Like, you can't charge 5% on the full $100: $100 is not owing constantly,
since it reduces due to the payment: capish?

Principal Amount A: 100
Interest Rate i : .05/12
Term in months n : 12
Monthly Payment P : ?

Formula:
P = A*i / (1 - k) where k = 1 / (1 + i)^n

k = 1 / (1 + .05/12)^12
P = [100 * (.05 / 12)] / [1 - k] = 8.56