normal distribution problem: Suppose that SAT scores among

xxbabezxx233

I need help approaching the answer or to make sure I am correct.

Suppose that SAT scores among U.S. college students are normally distributed with a mean of 500 and a standard deviation of 100. What is the probability that a randomly selected individual from this population has an SAT score at or below 600?

I would find the z-score, which would be 600-500, and divide by 100. I would get 1.00 now when I look at my z-score chart, I would get 0.8413? Would this be correct? What would I do from then?

Also if I want to figure out what people would be above 600...?

Draw a picture of the bell curve Centered at 0. Now put a line at z=1 and shade everything under the curve from -infinity to z. this is the proportion of people who have lower results (.8413). The total area under the curve is 1. Find out a way to obtain the area of the unshaded region using the two things I just mentioned.

is there a site where I can draw my distribution on the computer. I'm still a bit confused on how to draw it. But i'll try it out thanks. Any more information would be greatly appreciated

Here's a close diagram of your distribution curve.

normaljj6.jpg

The shaded region is the area under the curve that corresponds to z=1 or a score below 600.

Remember, the hint marc gave you. The area under the entire curve is 1. If the area from \(\displaystyle ({-\infty},1]\) is 0.8413, then the area from \(\displaystyle [1, {\infty})\) would be ?????.

What if the question were 'scored exactly 600'?.

Do you have a nice calculator that does integration?.

You can find the area under the curve by:

\(\displaystyle \L\\\frac{1}{\sqrt{2{\pi}}}\int_{-\infty}^{z}e^{\frac{-x^{2}}{2}}dx\)

For instance, use z=1 and the solution is 0.8413

I don't know how to solve that exactly 600 thing. Is there a standard size interval that people use?

The way I do it is to use the continuity correction and subtract them.

Like so: \(\displaystyle 600\pm{0.5}\)

\(\displaystyle \L\\\frac{599.5-500}{100}=0.995\)

\(\displaystyle \L\\\frac{600.5-500}{100}=1.005\)

The corresponding z-scores are 0.8401 and 0.8426, respectively.

Subtract: 0.8426-0.8401=0.0024

The probability of getting exactly a 600 is 0.24%.

The the way I have always seen it done.

xxbabezxx233 said:
so the answer wont be 84%.. and is there a reason why we number the line that way?

Look at the posts. That is an example of exactly 600.

You're on the right track.

The idea is that the probability of getting exactly 600 in a continuous setting is 0. And so to get an answer we need to create an interval around 600 and calculate the probability that the score lies in that interval.