Find ages of three children, given product, sum, hair color.

ravengirl

I thought this should be fairly easy and I hope I am posting in the proper forum but my brain is on vacation today and I am having a little trouble. Help please?

Two men walk in the street. While the conversation, the first asks the second the age of his three daughters. The second answers like this :

FIRST : The product of their ages gives 36.
SECOND : Huh… I can’t find their ages!
FIRST : The sum of their ages gives the number of this house’s door.
SECOND : I still can’t find their ages…
FIRST : The elder has blond hair.
SECOND : Oh, now I see.

What are the ages of the three daughters?

oh I forgot to mention this was also on the paper we got... hmmm maybe its more difficult than I thought and could be why I am having so much trouble coming up with the answer!

Good luck and get your friends here and try to answer! The only hint I can give is that no computer in the world is currently able to solve this problem on itself;)

There are three kids. What products of three whole numbers result in "36"? (Note: Remember to include products with duplicate factors, such as (2)(2)(9), etc.)

What are the sums of each set of factors? (Make a list. Note that, since the decision cannot be made on this basis, there must be two or more products whose factors have the same sum.)

If there is an "eldest", what does this mean about the ages of the two elder children? (Hint: Can the two elder children be twins?)

If you get stuck, please reply showing all of your work and reasoning. Thank you.

Eliz.

That's a very old problem, and relatively easy:
google "the product of their ages is 36".