The look of LaTeX: could it be better...?

Zone Ranger

The quality of the latex (how it looks) is very poor. Is there anything that can be done about this?

It improves substantially if you enlarge it with \L

Could be better: \(\displaystyle \int_{0}^{\pi}{x^{2}}\;dx\;=\;\frac{\pi^{3}}{3}\)

Is better: \(\displaystyle \L\int_{0}^{\pi}{x^{2}}\;dx\;=\;\frac{\pi^{3}}{3}\)

\(\displaystyle x_i\)

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^\infty\frac{1}{n^2}\)

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle y=\left(\frac{n\sum_{i=1}^ny_ix_i-\sum_{i=1}^nx_i\sum_{i=1}^ny_i}{n\sum_{i=1}^nx_i^2-\left(\sum_{i=1}^nx_i\right)^2}\right)x+\left[\overline{y}-\left(\frac{n\sum_{i=1}^ny_ix_i-\sum_{i=1}^nx_i\sum_{i=1}^ny_i}{n\sum_{i=1}^nx_i^2-\left(\sum_{i=1}^nx_i\right)^2}\right)\overline{x}\right]\)

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \frac{1}{n\sum_{i=1}^nx_i^2-\left(\sum_{i=1}^nx_i\right)^2}\left[\begin{array}{c}
\sum_{i=1}^nx_i^2\sum_{i=1}^ny_i -\sum_{i=1}^nx_i\sum_{i=1}^nx_iy_i\\
-\sum_{i=1}^nx_i\sum_{i=1}^ny_i+n\sum_{i=1}^nx_iy_i \\
\end{array}
\right]\)

the tex is not sharp. This makes it harder to read (atleast for me). I guess it might be the font that it is displayed in. when i tex documents using latex it is much sharper than this.

Several Comments:

LaTeX is a relatively new addition to this board. I believe what we have is still the very first implementation. It is a vast improvement over in-line text only and foreign-hosted graphics. :D

Although I could not find the thread, this discussion has appeared before. I believe it is generally agreed that the LaTeX implementation could be improved. Specific suggestions concerned the monochrome type. :idea:

I think your eyes are no worse than others'. It is not "sharp" to most viewers. :(

If you have specific technical suggestions, you are welcome to send them to the Forum Administrator. I'm not sure what it would take to improve it - maybe a new license agreement and some $$? Just guessing. :?

We've been a little distracted by virulent spammers, of late. It is possible plans for better LaTeX have decreased in priority due to these security issues. :cry:

Did I remember to welcome you to the board? :)

Zone Ranger said:
\(\displaystyle \H\\\displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^\infty\frac{1}{n^2}\)

\(\displaystyle \H\\\displaystyle y=\left(\frac{n\sum_{i=1}^ny_ix_i-\sum_{i=1}^nx_i\sum_{i=1}^ny_i}{n\sum_{i=1}^nx_i^2-\left(\sum_{i=1}^nx_i\right)^2}\right)x+\left[\overline{y}-\left(\frac{n\sum_{i=1}^ny_ix_i-\sum_{i=1}^nx_i\sum_{i=1}^ny_i}{n\sum_{i=1}^nx_i^2-\left(\sum_{i=1}^nx_i\right)^2}\right)\overline{x}\right]\)

\(\displaystyle \H\\\displaystyle \frac{1}{n\sum_{i=1}^nx_i^2-\left(\sum_{i=1}^nx_i\right)^2}\left[\begin{array}{c}
\sum_{i=1}^nx_i^2\sum_{i=1}^ny_i -\sum_{i=1}^nx_i\sum_{i=1}^nx_iy_i\\
-\sum_{i=1}^nx_i\sum_{i=1}^ny_i+n\sum_{i=1}^nx_iy_i \\
\end{array}
\right]\)
How's that?. I think it looks pretty good.

I have used TeX for at least 15 years.
I actulally find this to be a 'better than most' system!

I agree that the quality of the image displayed isn't perfect, but it serves its purpose.

BTW Zone Ranger, Futurama is awesome! Remember these?.. "Mixed those mixed nuts, I see two almonds touching!" "Lower...Lower......Lower... TOO LOW!.... Lower.." Haha, I love that show.

Since the beginning, I've noted that this LaTeX is "lazy".
. . It doesn't provide spaces between symbols.

I usually use \, between terms and \: around equal signs.

Instead of \(\displaystyle 2x+3y = 6\), I can display \(\displaystyle 2x\,+\,3x\:=\:6\)

Also, \int_0^2f(x)\,dx produces: \(\displaystyle \int_0^2f(x)\,dx\)
. . I always insert a space before the \(\displaystyle dx\).
\L\int_0^2f(x)\,dx is an improvement: \(\displaystyle \L\int_0^2f(x)\,dx\)
. . but the upper limit is always "late".
So I add spaces before the "2": \L\int_0^{\;\;\;2}f(x)\,dx: \(\displaystyle \L\int_0^{\;\;\;2}f(x)\,dx\)

I also use [color=beige ]. . [/color ] to indent and create spaces.

It's all a lot of extra work, but I'm used to it, and the results are worthwhile.

I have noticed LaTex works differently on different sites.

Some may fuss about the LaTex here, but I prefer it over others.

One other site in particular has a very annoying LaTex. It won't allow you to write too long of an expression without inserting [math][/math] all over the place. I like the LaTex on this site the best of those I have used.

Just so you know, this isn't technically "LaTeX" on here. That's why it doesn't work quite like LaTeX 100% of the time, and that's partially why the rendering is not so great. I wish I had the nicer version, and I forgot what all the packages are called now, but when I installed it my host made it clear that they don't support what is necessary for that.

Perhaps when I upgrade to phpBB3 (when that's released) there will be an upgraded LaTeX system I can use. Until then, this is the best I can do. Sorry guys!

Ted