Confusing Puzzles

damzel

I have two homework questions that are puzzles, and i hope this is the right section to post it in. I hope someone can help, because i have been trying to solve this problems for two weeks.

My first question was this: using the given clues i have to find out the question in bold.

1) Ms. Nelson’s first-grade is learning how to count money. Today, Ms. Nelson filled each of 20 envelopes with a different combination of pennies, nickels, dimes, and quarters. She then handed four of the envelopes to each of five children (one is Beau). Each child’s envelopes are four different colors (blue, green, red, and yellow). Each envelope contained three coins and after the five children counted the money, they found that each had been given the same total amount of money. Can you determine the full name of each child and the amount of money in each of his or her envelopes? 1) One child has an envelope containing three times as much money as one of his or her other envelopes, which contains more than twice as much money as each of his or her two other envelopes.
2)One child has an envelope containing coins worth three times as much as those in one of his or her other envelopes, which are worth half as much as the coins in one of his or her other envelopes.
3) The yellow envelope of the one surnamed Meyer is worth twice as much as Candy’s red envelope, which is worth twice as much as the Lord child’s green envelope
4) One green envelope contains twice as much money as a blue envelope.
5) The Smith child’s yellow envelope contains $0.10 more than Emily’s red envelope, which contains $0.10 more than Derek’s green envelope, which contains $0.10 more than Jones child’s blue envelope.
6) Alex’s green envelope contains $0.10 less than the white child’s red envelope, which contains $0.10 less than the Smith child’s blue envelope.
7) Each child has more money in his or her yellow envelope than in his or her blue envelope.

my second question is this: and its the same thing as the one above

2) When Joe hit a bit of writer’s block and decided to break for lunch, he left the main character of his newest murder mystery, Clueless, in quite a quandary. Professor Danvers had hosted what he though would be a festive house party for six of his dearest friends, but the disappearance of one of the guests, Mr. Boddy, put a damper on the whole affair! After a weekend of puzzling over the bizarre circumstances, the five remaining guest departed on Sunday evening, only to contact Professor Danvers through an urgent e-mail first thing in the morning of a different day of the following week (from Monday through Friday). It seems that each guest had left behind a different, rather curious item (including a wrench) and was seeking its immediate return. Danvers conducted a search of his mansion on each of the five afternoons of that week, and although not every day’s search yielded an item, and although some items may have been found before they were reported missing, all of them were eventually found. Each item was discovered in a different location (including behind the draperies) in a different room (one is the billiards room) of the mansion. Can you determine the day on which Professor Danvers received an e-mail from each guest, as well as match each guest with his or her item, the day on which his or her item was found, and the location and room in which the item was discovered.
1) Three items found on consecutive days, in order from first to last, are Mrs. Hepplewhite’s item, the item that was uncovered behind the potted palm, and the jump rope.
2) On three consecutive days, in order from first to last, Professor Danvers received an e-mail from Madame Primrose, located an item in the dining room, and received an e-mail regarding the item that was located under the cushions of a chaise lounge.
3) One morning, Professor Danvers received a message requesting the return of a lead pipe (“It’s my favorite walking stick, but admittedly a bit heavy”), and that afternoon, his butler moved the armoire in the ballroom and found an item that had been reported missing the day before.
4) Captain Longhorn’s email arrived the day after the one that concerned the item that turned up in the conservatory and the day before the message about the missing knife (It’s perfect for buttering my croissants”)
5) One afternoon, Professor Danvers was surprised to stumble across an item under one of his prized Oriental rugs, as he had not yet learned of its loss.
6) Both Lady Marshfield’s item and the jump rope were found on the same afternoon, but, to Professor Danver’s dismay, the next day’s search yielded none of the missing items.
7) The item found in the library on Friday afternoon was reported missing at least twenty-four hours before its retrieval.
8) The missing candlestick (“ One never knows when there will be a power failure”) showed up at least one day before Dr. Greyson’s item was found; Dr. Greyson’s item was found the day before his e-mail laws received.

Well, since it's new year and the "coins breakdown" is not really part of the
"logic portion", and I'm in a good mood cause Phoenix Suns won again last
night, here's the dope on the coin arrangements:
1,1,1 = 3
1,1,5 = 7
1,1,10 = 12
1,1,25 = 27
1,5,5 = 11
1,5,10 = 16
1,5,25 = 31
1,10,10 = 21
1,10,25 = 36
1,25,25 = 51
5,5,5 = 15
5,5,10 = 20
5,5,25 = 35
5,10,10 = 25
5,10,25 = 40
5,25,25 = 55
10,10,10 = 30
10,10,25 = 45
10,25,25 = 60
25,25,25 = 75

These 20 sums add up to 615; since each got same total,
then each got 615 / 5 = 123

The 5 combos that add up to 123, each getting 4:
75,25,12,11 (Jones; blue = 25)
55,31,21,16 (Smith; yellow = 55)
51,35,30,07 (Derek; green = 35)
45,36,27,15 (Emily; red = 45)

1st one meets rule#1 (75 is 3 times 25, 25 is more than twice 12 and twice 11)
2nd one meets rule#2 (60 is 3 times 20, 20 is half of 40)
Rule#5 (.10 cents differences) forces the 4 names that I inserted in brackets.

You should be able to finish it now.

Trickier than I thought; had to make a change; FULL SOLUTION:

75Y, 25B, 12R, 11G : Alex Jones
60Y ,40G ,20B, 03R : Beau Meyer
55Y ,31B, 30R, 07G : Candy Smith
51Y ,35G, 21R, 16B : Derek White
45R ,36Y, 27B, 15G : Emily Lord

wow thanks alot, i tired to solve it again myself last night, but it didn't work i was getting frustrated because i was getting lost. thanks again.

damzel said:
wow thanks alot, i tired to solve it again myself last night, but it didn't work i was getting frustrated because i was getting lost. thanks again.
Don't feel bad, damzel-in-distress 8-)

There are a surprisingly large number of combos = 1.23

The only "nice thing" is all possible 3-coin combos are used
for the 20 envelopes, so at least you know what those are.