is the hundredths digit of the decimal d greater than 5?

ararom

1) the tenths digit of 10 d is 7.
2) the thousandths digit of d/10 is 7.

i can't get this, could you please help me?

thanks in advance...

So 'd' is some number in decimal form?

abcefg.hijklm - something like that?

Then 10 d would be abcefgh.ijklm

Then d/10 would be abcef.ghijklm

Perhaps you could provide the full and exact problem statement.

ararom said:
it is the full statement
Since there was no number included anywhere in the exercise, there is no sense in attempting to determine the value of the hundreds digit: no such thing was given to you. :shock:

Please consult with your instructor regarding the rest of the exercise, beginning what what the number was supposed to be. :idea:

Thank you! :D

Eliz.

Given that the tenths digit of 10*d is 7, isn't the hundredths digit of d 7?

ararom said:

1) the tenths digit of 10 d is 7.
2) the thousandths digit of d/10 is 7.

i can't get this, could you please help me?

thanks in advance...

For part 1), let's think about what happens when you MULTIPLY a number by 10. Don't you move the decimal point ONE place to the right? For example, 3.15 X 10 = 31.5. And 4.297 X 10 = 42.97.

Do you see that whatever digit was in the hundredths place of the original number d moves to the tenths place in the product after multiplying by 10?

Ok...so if you know that AFTER multiplying by 10, there is a 7 in the tenths place, wouldn't have that 7 been in the hundredths place BEFORE you did the multiplication?

So, before the multiplication of "d" by 10, the hundredths place would have been a 7. And the question asks this: if "d" is a decimal number, would the digit in the hundredths place be greater than 5?

Since 7 is greater than 5, your answer should be "yes."

Now....for problem (2), think about what happens when you DIVIDE a number by 10.....